Samson Tells a Riddle

Later, a few days before the wedding, Samson passed by the place where he had killed the lion. There was a swarm of bees making honey. He went over to the lion and tasted the honey. It was very sweet.

That night Samson was talking with some of the men in his girlfriend's village. Samson said, "I know a good riddle. Does anyone want to place a bet with me?"

"Sure, I will."

"Yes," all the men agreed. Samson bet them thirty pieces of linen and thirty changes of clothes. They had to answer the riddle before the eight day after the wedding. The men agreed.

Samson said, "This is the riddle: Out of the eater came something to eat. Out of the strong came something sweet."

No one knew the answer. The wedding took place and four days of parties passed The thirty Philistines could not figure out the answer to the riddle. So they ordered Samson's wife, "Get Samson to tell you the riddle's answer. If you don't we'll burn down your father's house. Then we'll kill him and you."

The girl was very scared. She begged Samson to tell her. Day after day she nagged and cried, whined and pleaded. Fibally Samson gave in and told his bride the answer. She told the Philistines.

Samson was angry because they had scared his new wife. He went to another Philistine village and killed thirty men. He gave their clothes to the men who had won the bet. Then the Philistines hurt Samson back by making his wife marry a Philistine man. They would not let Samson back in their village. Back and forth Samson and the Philistines hurt each other.

When the Philistines started killing other people of Israel, though, Samson let his friends give him to the enemy. Then the Spirit of God came over him. Samson was able to break the rope that bound him with a giant "Snap!" Samson was super strong again, just like when he had fought the lion. Samson killed many Philistines on the day he broke loose from the ropes.