David the Giant-Killer

David went to Saul. He told him, "Let me fight this Goliath. I don't want God's people to look like cowards."

Saul said, "You can't fight him. You're just a boy."

David stuck his chin out. "I've saved my sheep from lions amd bears."

Finally Saul agreed. He gave David his armour and weapons. They were too big. Since David was not used to wearing such heavy armour, he threw it off. "I will meet Goliath dressed as a sheperd."

Then David chose five smooth stones from a nearby brook. It was time to fight the giant.

When Goliath saw him, he roared, "What an insult! You dare to send a little boy to fight the great Goliath?"

But David told him, "You might have a sword and spear. My weapon is the name of the Lord God Almighty. He is the God of our army, the very One you made fun of.

"Today God will help me strike you down and take off your head! Then the whole world will know it's not a sword which wins battles, but the power of the Lord!"

Goliath moved closer to attack David. Suddenly, David darted toward Goliath. He fitted his sling with a stone. David swung it around and around his head, then let it fly.

It whirred through the air faster than it took Goliath to raise his spear. Too late, the stone bored a hole right into Goliath's head! The great giant fell with a mighty thud, onto the ground.

David took Goliath's big, heavy sword. He killed him and cut his head off. The Philistines could not believe their eyes. They turned and ran. The men of Israel and Judah did not let them get away. A great battle was won that day, because David trusted in God's power.