The Tax Collector Says Yes

As Jesus was walking down the street he passed a table where a tax collector sat. The Jewish people did not like tax collectors. They worked for the Romans, who were enemies of the Jews. No one liked the tax collectors because they were such cheaters.

As Jesus passed this tax collector called Matthew, He said, "Follow Me!"

Matthew had already heard about Jesus. He wanted to follow Him, but Matthew was afraid Jesus would say no. Matthew was a tax collector, after all. When Jesus said, "Follow Me," Matthew jumped up from his table. He left behind his books and box of money. Matthew followed Jesus.

A few evenings later, Jesus was eating dinner in Matthew's house. Sitting with Him were more tax collectors and cheaters.

When the religious leaders, saw this, they were not happy. They sais to Jesus' followers, "Why does Jesus eat with all these bad people?"

Jesus said, "Do the healthy need a doctor? No, the sick are the ones who need help." Then He told them to think about how it was better to care for people with problems than waste time trying to follow rules which could only hurt people.

This was a new teaching for the religious leaders. They were used to thinking of God's rules as reasons to punish and judge. Jesus told them that God had given them the rules so they would know right from wrong. They were supposed to love and help each other.