Fat and Skinny Cows

The royal cup bearer stood next to Pharaoh. He made sure Pharaoh's cup stayed full of wine. It was not an easy thing to do when Pharaoh was so angry.

   Suddenly, the cup bearer remembered a promise he had made. He felt terrible that he had forgotten Jospeh for so long.

   "Pharaoh," the cup bearer said. "When I was in the prison, I made a promise to a Hebrew slave. He told me what my dream meant. I was supposed to tell you about him. I know he could help you now."

   Pharaoh nodded. "Bring this prisoner to me. "Two guards ran to fetch Jospeh. Jospeh shaved and put on fresh clothes and went to see Pharaoh. Pharaoh said, "I had a dream and no one can tell me what it means. Can you?"

   "No, I can't But God can," Joseph said

   Pharaoh said, "In my dream I was standing by the River Nile. Then seven fat cows came out of the river.

After them came seven thin and ugly cows. The seven ugly cows ate up the seven fat cows. But when they were finished eating, they still looked as thin as before.

   "But there is more. I also dreamed about seven full heads of grain. They grew on a single stalk. After them seven other heads sprouted, but they were withered and burned by the wind. The thin grain swallowed up the seven pieces of good grain. I told all this to the wizards. No one could tell me what it meant." Pharaoh looked at Joseph.

   Joseph stared at the ground. He prayed, "Please God, what does it all mean?" Then he knew. Just like that, God opened Joseph's mind. He knew what the dreams meant.

   "Pharaoh, the two dreams meant the same thing. There will be seven years of plenty to eat and drink. All the poor will be fed. But after those seven years will come another seven. Then the crops will run out. Everyone will go hungry those years."

   Joseph told Pharaoh these things would happen very soon.