Mustard Seed and Yeast

Matthew 13:31-35; Mark 4:30-34; Luke 13:18-21

Jesus' disciples asked Him about the kingdom of God. They knew anyone could belong to this kingdom as soon as they chose to follow Jesus. They knew God was the King, but what was it like?

    Jesus told them the kingdom of heaven was like a mustard seed. That is the tiniest of the tiny seeds. Once a mustard seed starts sending down roots, it grows and grows into a tall tree. Mustard trees are often the biggest trees in the garden. Birds love to build their nests in the mustard trees.

    Jesus used another story to teach the same lesson. "The kingdom of God is like a small bit of yeast which a woman puts into flour." That little pinch of yeast has the power to turn a lump of baked flour into a loaf of bread.

    Both stories showed that small beginnings in the kingdom of God can grow in great ways. Even if all a person does is whisper a soft, "Yes Jesus, I believe," that small beginning can be the start of a truly great faith.

    Jesus used stories when He taught the people. That way they could picture what He was talking about. Afterwards He explained the stories to His disciples. He wanted them to learn and grow wiser, understanding more and more.