Esther Has a Plan

Mordecai was so upset about the order to kill the Jews, he tore off his clothes. He walked up and down the city streets, wailing.

He and Esther sent messages back back and forth. Mordecai told her, "You must go to the king and beg for our lives "

Esther turned white with fear. "But the king sees only those people he sends for. If I visit him without being asked, he could have me killed. My only chance is if he holds out his golden sceptre and chooses to listen to me."

Mordecai was firm. He said, "You're not going to be saved just because you're the queen! If you stay quiet at a time like this, God will save His people through someone else. This is probably why you became queen."

Esther prayed. Then she said, "Tell Mordecai I've agreed. If i have to die, I will die."

Three days later, Esther entered the throne room. The king looked up and saw her. He smuled and held out the golden sceptre. "Ah, Esther. What is it? I would give you anything, even half my kingdom."

"If it pleases the king, I would like to invite you and Haman to eat dinner with me tonight." She waited and hoped.

"Why of course!" The king has agreed.

That evening, and the evening after, Esther ate with the king and Haman. After the first meal, Haman went home and bragged to his friends. He showed them his money and said, "Why, I'm so great, even the king and queen eat with me."