The Rock Man

Matthew 16:13-19; Mark 8:27-29; Luke 9:18-20

Jesus brought His disciples to a quiet place north of Lake Galilee. There, He turned to them and asked a very important question. "Who do people say that I am?"

    "Some say John the Baptist, come back to life. To some, You're Elijah. Others say Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

    Jesus said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

    Then Peter stepped forward. He felt pushed from inside his heart to answer, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

    Jesus said to him, "You are very special and blessed, Peter. The only way you could have known that was if My Father in heaven had shown it to you."

    Jesus laid His hands on His friend's shoulders. "Remember your name Peter," He said.

    Peter means "Rock," the large, sturdy kind of rock upon which houses are built. The reason for this name became clear when Jesus said, "My Church will be made up of people like you. They know that I am the Christ sent from God. You are the Rock who will help build this Church."

    In the same way, all who believe in Jesus have built their lives on the strong "rock" of Jesus' truth. The house built on rock cannot be blown away by the storm.