A Woman of Loyalty

Orpah came up to Naomi. She said, "I will do what you wish. I will go back to my parents." The old woman hugged her. They held each other and cried. They knew they would never see each other again. Orpah gathered her things and left.

But Ruth would not leave. She put a hand on Naomi' shoulder. She said she would stay, no matter what. In her heart Naomi was glad Ruth wanted to stay. Naomi knew she would become an old beggar woman, with no one to help her. She wanted what was best for Ruth, though "You must go, too, Ruth." Ruth begged Naomi, "No, you're my mother now. Please, Naomi, let me go with you. I'll go where you go. Your people will be my people and your God, my God." Ruth knew about the one, true God. Her husband had taught her about God and she trusted Him. "Please, Naomi," Ruth begged. "I never want to be far away from you. God will take care of us."

Naomi finally agreed. The two women set off for Bethlehem. That was where Naomi had grown up. When they arrived, all the old people remembered Naomi. "Is it really you?" they asked.

"Naomi, you've come back to us! It's so nice to see you again."

Old friends hugged her and the word soon spread, "Naomi has come bacl home! She's brought her daughter-in-law with her."