David Is Crowned

Now that Saul's sons were dead, the tribes of Israel came to David. "We're all part of the same family. Even while Saul was king, you were our leader. We've heard how the Lord has chosen you. We want you to be our king!"

When David became king he chose Jerusalem as his city. At that time Jerusalem was just a small village. Even so, it was well protected and would be very hard to capture.

The Jebusites, who lived in Jerusalem, laughed at David. "Ha! You couldn't even fight the blind and crippled of Jerusalem, let alone us!" But David had the blessing of God. When he and his men captured Jerusalem, they made it to the royal city of Israel and Judah.

When the Philisitines heard that David was king, they called all their troops together os they could attack him. But David asked the Lord what he should do. God told him, "Do not attack right away, but circle around behind them. When you hear the trees, move quickly. That will mean the Lord has gone in front of you to strike down the enemy army."

It happened just that way. David defeated the Philistines everywhere he went.

David was thiry years old when he became King of Judah. He was one of the greatest kings the Jewish people ever had. He reigned over both Israel and Judah for forty years in all.