Peter Walks on Water

Matthew 14:28-33

The wind roared. The waves formed walls around the boat. Of the little group of scared men, one man stood up. It was Peter. "It's Jesus!" he said to the others. Then he took a step toward the side of the boat and took a closer look.

    The Lord's feet barely touched the water. But He did not sink. Jesus took a step toward the boat. Peter called out, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."

    Jesus said, "Come!"

    Peter put one foot over the side. It went down, down, down, then stopped. Then he swung his second leg over and stood up. He did not sink! 

    He took a step. Then another and another, all the time watching the face of Jesus. Peter was walking on water!

    But after a few steps, he heard the wind howling. And he looked down. Instead of looking at Jesus and trusting in Him, Peter grew afraid. He looked at the waves around him. "How can I walk on water?," he wondered. As soon as Peter started doubting, Peter began to sink. "Help! Lord, save me!" he cried out.

    Jesus reached out His hand. He grabbed Peter. Jesus said, "Oh Peter, Peter! Where is your faith? Why did you doubt?"

    Jesus and Peter climbed back into the boat. Once they were safe on board, the wind suddenly stopped. The disciples were astounded. They fell to their knees and worshipped Jesus. Not only had they watched Peter walk on water, but Jesus controlled even the very wind and sea.