Waiting for a Baby

Long after Ruth's son Obed was born, the people of Israel were still choosing to forget God. Most people did not even try to pray.

At this time there lived a man named Elkanah. Elkanah had two wives. One had children and the other had none. Elkanah's wife who had no children was called Hannah. She had long black hair and dark eyes which lit up when she smiled. Elkanah loved Hannah very much.

The years went by, and Hannah still did not have any children. Elkanah loved Hannah even more than he loved his other wife. She was called Peninnah. Peninnah had given Elkanah many sons and daughters. She was not as gentle and good as Hannah.

Peninnah knew Elkanah loved Hannah more than her. This made Peninnah very jealous. Every chance she had, she teased Hannah she was a useless wife since she could not give Elkanah even one child.

Elkanah was one of the few people at that time who tried to follow the Lord. Once a year he took the whole family to Shiloh. There the ark containing the Ten Commandments was kept in the holy tent. A priest took care of the ark there.

Each year, after Elkanah finished worshipping God at Shiloh, he held a big party for his family. Hannah was there, together with Peninnah and all her children.

Every year at the feast in Shiloh, Elkanah gave Hannah twice as much meat as Peninnah. He felt so badly about Hannah not having any little children. He thought it was the least he could do. Elkanah hoped the extra meat might bring back Hannah's special smile. He remembered that smile well, but hardly saw it at all anymore.