The Woman at the Well

"Who is that woman at the well?" Jesus' disciples were walking back from the town where He had sent them to get food. When they saw Him talking to the woman they became very upset. "Jesus shouldn't do that. She's a Samaritan. No Jew wants to talk to those people," they said to each other.

When the woman looked at the disciples' angry faces, she thought she had better go home. Jesus had given her a great deal to think about. She left her water pot behind and hurried into town. There she told a group of people, "Come and see a man who told me all about my life! Is it possible? Could this be really the Christ?"

The woman's story made the people very curious. They followed her to the well and met Jesus. They listened to Him teach and felt their hearts and minds open to what He said. "Please, stay with us and tell us some more," they begged.

Jesus' disciples did not like this. They did not want to stay with the Samaritans. But Jesus showed His love for all types of people. He stayed in that city for two days. Many people believed He was the Messiah. Some believed because of the story told by the woman at the well. Most believed or themselves because of what they heard Jesus say. He taught about love and then had spent time with them, even though He was a Jew and they were Samaritans.