Storm at Sea

Once on board, Jonah fell asleep. He thought he could relax because he had run away from God.He was wrong.

The Lord threw a great wind at the sea. A terrible storm shook the waves. The ship was tossed up and down and rocked from one side to the other. The sailors said, "There must be some reason why this is happening. Someone on the ship must have made his god angry!"

So each sailor prayed to his own god, begging to be saved. The wind howled louder. The waves reared higher and higher.

The captain went below deck and shook Jonah. "How can you be sleeping through a storm like this?" he asked. "You should be praying to your God. Maybe He will be able to save us."

When the men on board heard that Jonah was a Jew, they became very frightened. They had heard about this Lord God of Israel. They gasped, "You tried to run away from Him?" Even they knew that was impossible. God sees everything.

"It is your God who is punishing us. Now tell us, how do we stop this storm?"

Jonah said, "If you throw me overboard, the storm will go away."

At first the sailors would not throw Jonah into the sea. But they had no choice. They prayed to Jonah's God, "Oh, Lord. Please don't kill us with this storm. We haven't done anything wrong. Only this man has." They had no choice. They picked up Jonah and threw him into the raging sea. Suddenly, the wind stopped howling. The waves died down.