The Stolen Cup

The next morning the brothers rode off for home. They were happy. They had rescued Simeon, bought food for their families and eaten with an important man. Best of all, Benjamin was safe.

   Little did they know that Joseph had a plan. He had ordered a servant to hide his silver cup in Benjamin's bag. The palace guards were chasing them because of it. 

   They galloped alongside the brothers. "Get off your camels and donkeys," the guards ordered them. "What have we done wrong?" Reuben asked.

   "One of you has stolen our master's silver cup!"

   "But why would we steal?" the brothers  cried.

   The guards went from camel to came, donkey to donkey. They ended up at Benjamin's donkey. When they reached into his sack, a shout went up. The guard raised the silver cup into the air.

   The brothers groaned. "Oh, no! This is terrible. Benjamin what have you done?"

   Benjamin was so shocked, he just shook his head. "But, I didn't take it!"

   The guards ordered them back to Joseph's palace. The brothers begged Joseph, "We never meant to take your silver cup. Please forgive us."

   "You may go," Joseph said. "Only the thief must stay behind."

   Judah said, "But our father will die if we don't bring Benjamin back to him. He has arleady lost one son. He could not bear to lose this one, too.

   "Please, I beg you, let me stay here in this place. Please. If Benjamin stays here, none of us can face our father again." Judah fell to his knees.