The Dream of Two Men

Joseph stayed in the prison cell for many days. Then one morning two prisoners came to Joseph. They had a problem. "We had terrible dreams last night. Can you tell us what they mean?"

   Joseph said, " I can't help you, but my God can."

   The first man had been Pharaoh's cup bearer. He said, "In my dream I saw a vine. On the vine were three branches. As soon as the branches had little flowers on them, the blossoms became grapes. Pharaoh's cup and gave it to him."

   Joseph said a quiet prayer, asking God for help. Then he knew the answer. "This is what your dream means. The three branches are three days. In three days Pharaoh will say you are free. But, please," Joseph added, " could you mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison?"

   The second man had been Pharaoh's chief baker. He said, "In my dream there were three baskets of pastries on my head. In the top basket were pastries for Pharaoh, Then birds landed on me. They ate the pastries which were meant for Pharaoh."

   Joseph took a deep breath. God had shown him what the dream meant. It was not nice. "The three baskets mean three days. In three days' time Pharaoh will cut off your head and the birds will eat your dead body."

   Three days later, it happened exactly as Joseph had predicted.