The Children Come First

Matthew 18:1-14; Mark 9:33-37; Luke 9:46-48

The disciples were walking with Jesus and whispering to each other, "I wonder which one of us is the greatest of all?" Some said it was Peter. Others thought John was the most important disciple. They began to argue about it.

When they asked Jesus what He thought, Jesus did not answer right away. There was a child playing nearby. Jesus called the child over and put him on His knee. "Do you see this little one?" He asked. "Anybody who can become like a child, trusting and humble, that person will become the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

"And whoever takes care of a child and teaches him or her about Me, has also welcomed Me. But people who hurt a child, or teach him or her not to trust in Me, will be in terrible trouble. It would be better for them if a huge stone were tied around their neck and soeone threw them into the water!"

His friends shivered at the thought. They looked at the little child on Jesus' lap. How could a child be so important, they wondered.

Jesus said, "Take care of the children and love them the same way a shepherd loves his sheep. A shepherd searches all night just to find one missing sheep. Every single child is so very precious to God. He loves them all."