Jonathan Saves David's Life

Saul could not be trusted. One evening, David was playing his harp for Saul. Suddenly, Saul sprang out of his chair and grabbed his spear! He flung it with all his might at David. David ran from the room as fast as he could. He just barely got away.

That night David's wife Michal helped him escape from Saul's soldiers. David made his way to Samuel's home. He told him everything that had happened. Then David circled back and found Jonathan.

"What have I done?" he cried. Jonathan and David thought up a plan. They agreed on a signal. Jonathan would talk with Saul about David. Afterwards Jonathan would go into the field and practice shooting arrows. If Saul really did want to hunt down David and kill him, Jonathan would shout at the boy chasing his arrows, "Look, the arrows are beyond you." That would be David's signal.

Jonathan walked with David out to the field where they would soon meet again. The two young men felt very close. Jonathan cried out to God, "Be our Witness! If my father wants to hurt David and I don't warn him, let the Lord punish me. Let my children and his be best of friends for ever, even after the Lord destroys all of David's enemies!" Then David hid in the field. Jonathan went back to wait for his father.

Two days later, Jonathan asked Saul about David. His father flew into a rage. Saul even threw his spear at Jonathan, but missed.

The next morning, Jonathan ran to the field with his bow and arrow. He shot an arrow and told the boy who was chasing it "Look, the arrows are beyond you. Go quickly!" Then he sent the boy home. David came out of hiding.

David fell down on the ground at Jonathan's feet. The two friends were so sad they hugged and cried. Both young men knew it would be a long time before they could see each other again.