A Special Act

Luke 7:36-50

A Pharisee named Simon invited Jesus. for dinner one night. The Pharisees were religious leaders. Many of them did not like Jesus because He taught everyone about God's love.

    While Jesus was eating with Simon, a woman came into the house. The guests said, "Look, there's that very bad woman."

    The woman came over to Jesus. She knelt down.

    "What is she doing?" Simon gasped.

    Jesus said nothing. The woman was crying. Tears ran over her face and onto Jesus' feet. Then she wiped His feet dry with her hair.

    Still, Jesus said and did nothing. He waited for her to finish. But Simon, the Pharisee, thought to himself, "If Jesus were really a prophet, He would know what kind of awful woman this is."

    Then the woman reached into the folds of her dress. She took out a tiny bottle of very, very expensive perfume. It was the sort of perfume every Jewish woman held on to all her life, saving it for a special day. She poured the rich perfume over Jesus' feet. This meant she taught of Him as her King. The room was filled with the lovely smell.

    Simon became more and more upset. Jesus knew what he was thinking. "Simon," He said, " I want to tell you a story.

   "There once were two men. One owed a great deal of money to the moneylender. The other owed a little bit of money. When neither could pay back what they owed, the moneylender forgave them both. Now which will love him more?"

    Simon said, "The one who owed him the most."

    "That's right," Jesus said. "Now look at this woman. When I came into your house, you did not give Me any water so I could clean My feet. Sshe made them wet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.

    "You gave Me no kiss of greeting. She has kissed My feet constantly. Do you see? Her sins, which are many, have been forgiven because she had so much faith in Me. The person who is forgiven little, loves little.'