Queen Vashti's Refusal

King Ahasuerus bragged, "I'm the richest king ever. My armies are the greatest. And, I have the world's most beautiful queen!"

"Ah," sighed the crowd. They had heard of Queen Vashti. "Show her to us! We want to see the queen!" the people chanted.

The king's servants ran to where Queen Vashti was having her own party. They told her, "The king has ordered you to come before his guests."

The queen sighed and put her hands on her hips. "Why?"

"He wants to show them how beautiful you are."

But to their amazement, the queen shook her head. "No. Tell him I'll come later. Can't you see I'm busy right now?"

The servants were shocked. They hurried back to the king with the news. His guests were shocked. Everyone watched King Ahasuerus to see what he would do. The king was furious! He called for his advisers. He said, "How should I punish the queen for not doing what I told her?"

His advisers said, "You must act quickly. Otherwise all the wives of all the princes in the kingdom will start saying no to their husbands. The men won't like that! Send out a royal order that Vashti is no longer your queen. Then look for someone else to take her place."

The king liked this idea. He sent out the order. It was written in many different languages. Everyone umderstood. The king was looking for a new queen.