Midnight Rambler

*

Everybody got to go
Did you hear about the midnight rambler?
Well, honey, it's no rock 'n' roll show

*

"Let's have another round."

We probably shouldn't, but we did anyway. It was our third or fourth, I wasn't really sure any more and we were already at the hard stuff. It was one of those days you needed to start off with a whiskey. I took a drag from my cigarette. The smoke filled up the air and hung heavy in the room. The sparse light sources illuminated it even further, creating some kind of misty atmosphere making it nearly impossible to recognise the person sitting next to you, except if you were Mary apparently.

"Fuck... Aren't that the Rolling Stones?"

I looked around and spotted the group of people Mary thought to be the Stones, I couldn't recognise much. I just shrugged. It wasn't the first time we met somebody who was supposed to be famous. We probably hung around too much at bars or clubs and after some time you had seen them all, or nearly. I don't know why we haven't run into one of the Stones before, but we always seemed to miss them. I didn't really care, but Mary was a huge fan and it annoyed her terribly that she nearly daily run into one of the Beatles, but never saw the Stones.

"We should talk to 'em." She said.

I laughed and shock my head.

She raised an eyebrow. "Why not?"

I shrugged. "We never talk to 'em."

"But they aren't the usual!" Mary exclaimed.

I took another sip from my glass and shook my head. "And still does it make a difference?"

"Please for me." She begged.

I sighed. "We should have another drink..."

We heard somebody chuckle behind us. "I like your thinking. Hey," He waved at the barkeeper. "Give the lady's here something to drink and something strong for me as well."

"Ehh... thank you." Mary stuttered. Normally she was the talkative of us both, and even though she wanted to get in contact with them, it seemed like the sudden appearance of their guitarist made her lose her confidence.

"You're very welcome, love." He chuckled.

Grace, the barkeeper handed us our drinks and I waited for Mary's next move. I was curious if she was going to use her chance or if she let it slide, because she was too nervous.

"Eh...eh..."

Definitely too nervous.

I laughed. "Seems like you haven't had enough to drink yet." I said while I was lightning my cigarette. I offered her and the guitarist one as well.

"Thank you!" He said as he took one. " Let me guess, she is a fan?"

I just shrugged as I saw Mary empty her glass in one rush.

"Actually Charlie, here is a big fan, but she is so antisocial and that always forces me to take action and well I guess I was a bit nervous, you know, you're rather famous."

I chuckled. Leave it to Mary, to make me seem like I was crazy about them.

"If you want you can come with me to meet the band, if you want?"

I could see that it took Mary everything she had to hide her squealing. She took my hand and pressed it for reassurance. I pushed the visions back at least Mary's future didn't look that bad. Old & peaceful. Not a lot of people get that and I always wondered how Mary was one of them, considering how that girl partied, not that she didn't deserve a long life, I was just a tad surprised.