You Got The Silver

You fill my cup, babe, that's for sure
I must come back for a little more
You got my heart you got my soul
You got the silver you got the gold
*

We hadn't bothered to define our relationship after all and I think it was best left undefined. As far as everyone else was concerned we were dating and in a way we were really now, but it was something more of an unspoken agreement between us.

It was strange how much and how little had changed at the same time. I've never felt awkward or nervous in Brian's presence, except maybe on the first evening I've met him, but beside that I never minded his company too much. Now however I was unsure of how to act around him. I've never had feelings for someone and it was overwhelming me. How was one supposed to act in such a situation? I had no idea and there was no one I could ask. Mary wouldn't understand where my problem was to begin with and I definitely didn't want to know what Brian expected of me. At least he was acting less pushy and even asked whenever he wanted to touch me. It was nice.

My new job however wasn't. New people meant new deaths and it took me a while to get used to them. Mrs Reed's was only 4 months away, but it was a peaceful one at least. A heart attack in her sleep and I doubted I could do a thing about it anyway. It might not have been a real reassuring thought, but she would hardly feel a thing, before she was gone. One could nearly be envious of her for that, especially compared to a death like Brian's.

Her son Edgar had a long life ahead of him as did Oliver, who worked there as well. Edgar and him seemed close and strangely I felt a bit left out. With Mr. Evan, it had just been Ben and I and even though I hadn't liked him much, we had always worked together. Now I was feeling kind of useless. Edgar at least tried to include me, even if I suspected it was more his mother's idea than his, but Oliver gave me the impression he just wanted me gone. I had hardy greeted him on my first day, when he asked me if I had no cake to back or something similar useless to do. I knew it was unusual for a woman to work, but until now nobody had ever bothered me about it and this sudden hostility had astonished me. However, Oliver wasn't the only surprise I was greeted with in the new week.

"Keith? What are you doing here?" I asked him just as I had stepped out of the door of the parlour. He was leaning on a car, smoking. He had obviously been waiting for me and under normal circumstances I might have been glad to see him, but it had been an exhausting day and I just wanted to get home. Oliver had pushed me around the whole time, probably hoping to get me to leave again, because I couldn't handle the work, but I wouldn't back out and did everything he asked me to. I was dead tired and just wanted to get to bed, so I wasn't really in the mood for whatever Keith was here for.

He seemed a bit nervous and in a way I was as well. I didn't want Oliver or Edgar to see me with him. It might have been a stupid thought, but I didn't want them to see me as Brian's girlfriend, but just as me. I was more than the companion of some famous musician and Oliver already had a very low opinion on me and I doubted this would change his mind.

Keith scratched his neck, clearly not sure of what he was supposed to say. "Eh... I was waiting for you, but you're really hard to get a hold off, you know? You didn't tell me that you changed your working place, so you really lost your job after all?"

"Yes I did, but you're not here for that are you? I'm really tired and just want to get home."

Keith sighed and took a last drag from his cigarette, before he threw it away. "Sorry for kidnapping you so suddenly then, but I need you to go with me," he said and gestured to the car behind him. He opened the door, but I didn't move. Not that I didn't trust Keith, but this was simply too sudden for my taste, especially when he hadn't given me any explanation at all.