Everybody Needs Somebody To Love

When the sun goes down
Ain't nobody else around
That's when I'm all by myself
That's when I need your lovin' darlin'
That's when I need you so bad
*

Mary had calmed down a bit after we had sat down in the living room and had talked. Currently she nearly seemed more relaxed than I was. Thereby nothing exactly had changed for me, she was pregnant and her plans for the future had taken a drastic turn, whereas mine still looked as they had from the very start or maybe they did indeed look worse.

I wanted so badly to drink something stronger, but even though Brian was gone, it was now Mary's turn to nag me about it. Apparently as long as I didn't get my results back I shouldn't drink anything stronger than wine and out of sympathy to her I shouldn't be drinking at all.

In the end we still had a bottle of wine, but it seemed wrong to have conversation without drinking anything. Mary filled me in on the details of her relationship with Ben, surprisingly I hadn't missed that much and still I felt guilty for how ignorant I had been acting towards her. In the past she had talked about her life evenings and evenings and now I kind of had no idea what went on with her, because I had been so occupied with Brian. It made feel bad, but Brian's time was running out and Mary still had so much left...

I tried to concentrate as good as I could on her and Ben, but it was hard when my thoughts always drifted back to Brian. I knew Ben would forgive her and marry her, so I wasn't that worried. Of course I couldn't tell her that... All I could was to be as motivating as I could without raising her suspicions.

Well I tried until Brian came back. I heard the keys turn and I nearly wanted to jump up to run to him, but that would have been ridiculous. I forced myself to remain where I was, but I could see Mary giggling and I knew that my relief that he had come back had been more than obvious. I tried to glare at her, but it made her only laugh harder.

"I suppose I should go now," she said in between laughs. "I don't want to get caught up in anything when he gets his hands on you, "she added with a wink just as Brian entered the room. He frowned at her, but didn't say anything. I suspected he didn't want to talk with me as long as she was here, but I didn't want her to go. It was late and I didn't want to leave her on her own. She needed a friend and even though I was probably not the best, I was the best she currently had.

"You can stay, just give us a moment," I offered.

Mary raised her eyebrows and looked doubtfully between Brian and me. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," I said nodding, not sure if I was reassuring her or myself with it.

"Well then I'm going to have a look at your fridge, I suppose I need to eat for two now," she said and patted my knee before she left. Old. Death. Heart attack. Pain. Death. I let a breath out when I got out of the visions, it definitely would take me some time to get used to this.

I emptied my glass before I put it back on the table and looked up at Brian who still stood near the entrance of the living room nearly as if he was waiting for something, an apology probably.

"I'm sorry that I missed dinner," I said sighing. I should have informed him that I wasn't coming home, but Mary had kind of surprised me with her sudden appearance that he had slipped my mind for a minute and anyway the dinner seemed so futile in comparison to everything else that was going on.

Brian bit his lip and I seriously wondered why he had overreacted so much earlier. There just had to be another reason. "It's fine... I- " He mumbled and then stopped sighing. "She's pregnant?" he asked gesturing to the kitchen.