Chapter 37 - Spite

"I'm so stupid," Dei said as they walked back to her desk.

"What? No. I'm surprised that you did that but I was really happy, to be honest. Well until Matt dropped that bomb." RJ said. "Something doesn't feel right though, something doesn't make sense."

"You feel that too?" Dei asked, looking at him.

"Yea," he answered, thinking hard. "I'll figure it out. And I promise I won't leave, at least not for good. If I have to fly there and talk to the bosses, I will. But I'll be back for sure." RJ told her.

They walked around the corner and almost bumped into Christine.

"Hey," she greeted them.

Dei glanced at RJ, who was looking at his ex coldly, and then back at Christine. "Hey," she greeted back.

"I saw your live feed. That was genius, Dei. You sure know how to drive your fans wild. Yay, DeiJay!" she said, punching her fist up in the air with a huge smile on her face.

"Come on," RJ told Dei, his jaw set, and led her to her desk. "I'll talk to you later. I just need to do something." he whispered, and left. She saw him walk towards Christine who was talking to another staffer and pulled her by the elbow. They disappeared into the corner.

+++++

RJ let Christine's elbow go as soon as they got inside the conference room and he had closed the door.

"What did you do?" he demanded, looking at Christine coldly.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said, staring at him innocently.

"Let's skip the bullshit Christine and tell me what you did."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." she repeated, folding her arms across her chest.

"You managed to get yourself transferred here, got yourself assigned to my girlfriend's team - to get close to her and try to poison her mind, no doubt - and now you seem to have managed to convince the bosses to fly me back to New York," he said.

Christine just stared at him.

"How are you doing all these, Christine?" he asked, and then chuckled almost at once. "You know what, don't answer that. I already know how you do it, you fil--"

"What?" she challenged.

"I can't believe I ever fell in love with you," he said acidly. "And what made you think I'm ever coming back to you?"

"That doesn't even matter to me that much right now," she said, holding her chin up.

"So are you doing all of these just to spite me?"

Christine shrugged, looking smugly at him. "If I can't have you, no one else can. Especially not Dei."

"How desperate and low can you go?" he asked, taking a menacing step towards her.

"You have no idea," she said. She began to walk away, but RJ grabbed her by the elbow again, his nails digging into her skin.

"I just want to let you know that whatever your plan is, it's not gonna work. I'm not going to let it happen and I will do everything I can to stop it." he said, gripping her elbow tight.

"Oh, I know you will." she said mysteriously, a smirk forming on her lips as she pulled her elbows free from his grasp.