Chapter 45 - FaceTime

RJ put his phone down for the fifth time, successfully stopping himself from sending Dei another text message. He just sent one an hour ago but her last text was around ten in the morning, letting him know that her parents had arrived. It was 8PM and she still hasn't texted or called him. He tried calling her in the afternoon but it only rang three times and then abruptly ended. He figured she was having some intense discussion with her parents or something. He just hoped she'd update him so he wasn't feeling too anxious.

He looked at his phone, still fighting the urge to pick it up and just call her. Dude, what's wrong with you? Don't you have other things to do? Leave her alone and give her space, you clingy #!+%?!

His inner self won and he left the phone on the bed. He went and grabbed his guitar and sat by the window and started playing songs halfheartedly. His fingers had minds of their own and was able to play the songs flawlessly even though his mind wasn't really in it.

His phone suddenly rang and he almost fell over the chair as he scrambled to get off of it and run towards the bed to pick his phone up. It was a facetime call from Dei.

He quickly grabbed his earphones from the bedside table and inserted them to his ears before accepting the call. "Babe!" he said, almost breathlessly, and he smiled right away when he saw her face.

 "Babe!" he said, almost breathlessly, and he smiled right away when he saw her face

"Hi, babe," Dei greeted. She was smiling but her voice sounded tired.

"Hi!" he said, his happiness evident on his face. "Are you okay?"

"Yea, just a bit tired. I spent the whole afternoon doing shopping with mom. My sister's wedding is in three weeks and my mother's a nervous wreck trying to make sure that everything's planned perfectly. I think she's more nervous than the bride, it's actually scary," Dei said, laughing.

"Oh... You have a sister. And she's getting married?" RJ asked. It just dawned on him how little he knew about Dei's family. He only ever asked about her previous work, what her likes were, what she felt on a certain day and some other things about her past, but he never got to ask more about her family. And she never volunteered information.

"Yes. It's funny, I never got to mention that to you," she said, laughing a little.

"Yea... And we've been dating for almost a month now. In three days to be exact."

"Hmmm... Mr. RJ Faulkerson's been counting," she teased and there was a huge grin on her face. "Soon babe, you'll get to meet all of them. I hope you're ready."

"I'm looking forward to it," he said sincerely.

"So, what have you been doing the whole day?" she asked.

Thinking about you. "Oh, I've been busy. Finished a lot of chores, I actually almost forgot that we're not together." he said.

"Hmmm... That's good. So I never crossed your mind?"

"Of course you did," every minute or so actually, "but I got so preoccupied with all the stuff that I needed to do that it only happened about a couple of times..." He looked up from the phone and saw the basket of unwashed laundry on one corner of his room. It seemed to be looking up at him with a frown. Liar!

She chuckled. "Well at least you're able to enjoy your own space again. That would prevent you from getting tired of me."

"That'll never happen, Dei." he said, sighing. "By the way, uhm... During that one time that I was actually thinking about you, I tried calling but the call got cut or something. It only rang three times..."

"Oh, about that. I'm sorry. I didn't charge my phone last night and by the time you were calling the battery was already at 1 percent," Dei explained. "I was about to answer it but it died on me completely. I hope that didn't upset you."

"Not at all. I knew there was a logical explanation and I actually thought you and your parents were having a heavy discussion and you couldn't answer the phone." he said. "How did that go by the way?"

"It was okay. They pretty much understood. They're excited to meet you. My dad just said to make sure I don't get married the same year as my sister so..." she laughed.

"Hmmm... So I'll have to wait a year then," he said.

There was a short pause before Dei spoke again. "Stop throwing statements like that so casually, babe."

"That wasn't casual at all..."

"I might believe you," she whispered.

"Please do." he said softly.

"It's unlikely, we've only been dating for a month.

"Hmmm... Maybe." he admitted. "Have you eaten?" he asked, changing the topic.

"Yea.. I'm actually ready to crash now. Sing to me till I fall asleep?"

He smiled. "What do you want to hear?"

"Whatever song you want to sing to me..." she whispered as she propped the phone on the bedside table and laid on her side. She pulled the blanket up her chin and looked at him expectantly.

"Okay," he said, brushing his thumb where her face was on the screen and started singing.

Aren't you somethin' to admire?
'Cause your shine is somethin' like a mirror
And I can't help but notice
You reflect in this heart of mine
If you ever feel alone and
The glare makes me hard to find
Just know that I'm always parallel on the other side

Dei smiled at him as he sang, pulling the blankets closer to her.

'Cause with your hand in my hand and a pocket full of soul
I can tell you there's no place we couldn't go
Just put your hand on the glass
I'll be tryin' to pull you through
You just gotta be strong

'Cause I don't wanna lose you now
I'm lookin' right at the other half of me
The vacancy that sat in my heart
Is a space that now you hold
Show me how to fight for now
And I'll tell you, baby, it was easy
Comin' back here to you once I figured it out
You were right here all along

She blinked a couple of times, her eyes getting heavier...

It's like you're my mirror
My mirror staring back at me
I couldn't get any bigger
With anyone else beside of me
And now it's clear as this promise
That we're making two reflections into one
'Cause it's like you're my mirror
My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me

He paused when he was sure she was asleep and he heaved a deep sigh as he watched her for another minute. "I love you, Dei..." he whispered before ending the call.