Record-Playing

1970

Elica wandered around the house, checking each room. "I live here now." George and Ringo were nowhere in sight. "Maybe they're recording." She never knew much about their band, or listened to their music. "There's nothing to do here." She flopped down in a chair with a sigh. "Though I suppose it's always better than the orphanage." Before she knew it, she had fallen asleep.

---

Elica sat up, yawning. "How long was I out?" She looked at the clock. "Only an hour." She stood up, wandering around again. Her adoptive fathers still weren't home yet. Maybe they'd be back soon. "What's this?" She stopped in front of a bookshelf. "Those aren't books." She pulled out something firm and flat.

It was a record sleeve. The title said With the Beatles, and a picture of four familiar faces were on the front. Elica could tell it was older, since all of them were clean-shaven and short-haired. She immediately recognized George and Ringo. "The other two must be Uncle John and Uncle Paul." She hadn't met them yet, she'd only seen pictures.

"I wonder..." Curious, Elicia carefully took the paper sleeve out, and then the record. "Hmm." She held it around the edges so she wouldn't scratch it. "Interesting." She looked to the left, finding a small table. A record player neatly sat on top. "Wow." She lifted the lid, and carefully placed the record over the little pin thing in the middle. She made sure Side 1 was facing up, it seemed logical. She looked over at the arm, which had a little needle at the tip. As soon as she lifted it up, it started to spin.

"Oh!" Elicia almost dropped it, then remembered that she couldn't damage the record.She carefully placed the needle on top of it, which made a static sound. She stared at it. "So, what does it -"

IT WON'T BE LONG, YEAH, YEAH, YEAH!

"HOLY CRAP!" Elicia fell backwards as the sound came blasting out of the speakers. Taking a few deep breaths, she turned down the volume with a little knob.

Every night when everybody has fun
Here am I, sitting all on my own
It won't be long, yeah, yeah, yeah
It won't be long, yeah, 'till I belong to you

"Is that Uncle John and Uncle Paul?" Elica tilted her head. The voices didn't sound familiar. "They're - they're good!" She closed her eyes, then the song ended all too soon. "Aw."

Whenever I want you around, yeah
All I gotta do is call you on the phone
And you'll come running home
Yeah, that's all I gotta do

"It's that voice again. Uncle John, maybe?" She smiled, closing her eyes again. The songs went on, until she opened her eyes at a familiar voice.

Since she's been gone, I want no one to talk to me
It's not the same, but I'm to blame, it's plain to see
So go away, leave me alone, don't bother me

"George?" Elicia raised an eyebrow. Yes, she still called them by their names. "Is that him?"

I can't believe that she would leave me on my own
It's just not right when every night, I'm all alone
I've got no time for you right now, don't bother me

"That's George, alright." She smiled again. "He's good." The record ended after three more songs, and the arm lifted up. "Huh?" She looked up. "Oh, I'm supposed to turn it over." She did so, then put the arm back on.

Another George song, Roll Over Beethoven. To her surprise, Elica began tapping her foot along with the beat, then stood up and danced a bit. "It's a good thing no one's here to see me act like an idiot right now," she muttered. She swayed slightly when You Really Got a Hold on Me started, then she put a finger to her lips. "Why hasn't Ringo sang?"

"I'm not the best singer," he had told her once. "I didn't have a lot of songs."

She frowned in disappointment. Maybe he didn't sing on this one. But then it happened.

I wanna be your lover, baby, I wanna be your man
Love you like no other, baby, like no other can

"Ringo?" Elica whispered. The voice was deeper than in the other songs, so it had to be him. He already had a deep voice, so of course his singing voice would be deep as well. "Not the best singer?!" She threw her hands up in exasperation. "He's great!"

The last three songs were about a girl who secretly had bad intentions, a man not giving his ex a second chance, and money. Strange songs.

"That's what I want!" she sang, dancing again. She didn't hear the front door open, but she did hear the laughter. "Eep!" She froze quickly, looking over her shoulder.

"Bravo!" George clapped.

"Our daughter can dance!" Ringo chuckled.

Elica blushed a deep red. "I just found it, and I was curious..."

"Hey, don't worry, love." He patted her head. "We're glad you enjoy it."

"Why did you say you couldn't sing very well?" She tilted her head. "You're really good!"

"Ritchie!" George snapped his head towards Ringo. "Did you tell her that?"

"Um." He looked away, playing with his hands.

"How many times do I have to say that your voice is beautiful?" He took his hands in his own.

"It's just, it's just different," he murmured.

"Different is good! I don't care if it's deep, I love it!" He leaned over and whispered, "and I find it sexy."

"Ew." Elica backed away.

"Not in front of her!" Ringo hissed.

"Fair enough, how about upstairs?" Without waiting for a response, George picked him up and carried him to their bedroom.

"Good grief." Elica put the record away, then pulled out a new one. "A Hard Day's Night?" She turned it up all the way, just in case she needed it to block out the sounds coming from upstairs.

It's been a hard day's night, and I've been working like a dog
It's been a hard day's night, I should be sleeping like a log
But when I get home to you, I know that the things that you'll do
Will make me feel alright