I Want You Back

1970

Knock, knock, knock.

"Coming!" Ringo called, making his way over to the door. "Paul?"

"May I come in?" He bit his lip.

"Uh, yeah. Of course." He stepped aside.

"Is Elica here?" He sat down on the couch.

"No, sorry. She's at school."

"Okay, good. I don't want her to see me like this."

"What do you mean?" Ringo sat next to him. "Paul?" He stopped as he saw the tears welling up in his eyes. "Paul, what's wrong?!"

"I...I..." Paul sniffed, then let out a pained wail as he buried his face into his chest. "John!"

He shouted in surprise. "What about John?"

"I MISS HIM, RINGO! I WANT HIM BACK!" His sobs were ragged and deep, made of sorrow.

"Paul!" George raced downstairs, patting his back. "Paul, it's gonna be okay."

"NO!" he snapped. "ALL I WANT IS ME JOHNNY AGAIN! I WANT HIM TO COME BACK TO ME!" Paul cried harder, soaking Ringo's shirt. "JOHNNY!"

"Shh, shh." Ringo rocked him back and forth gently. "Paul, hey, it's okay. I know, it hurts."

"No!" He snapped his head up. "You don't know!" He pointed a finger at George. "What if he left you?! How would you feel?!"

"I'd be devastated," he said finally.

"Exactly! You don't know how I feel, so don't pretend you do!"

"Paul, what started all this?" George asked gently.

"This." Paul slowly took out his wallet, then pointed to the picture inside.

" Paul slowly took out his wallet, then pointed to the picture inside

"Paul, I'm sorry." They both hugged him as he cried again.