Still Here

1964

"Paul, come here." John motioned for him to come over.

"Yes, Johnny?" Paul ran over with a boyish smile, which faded away when he saw his serious face. "What's wrong?"

He rubbed his head, looking defeated. "I can't keep doing this."

"Doing what?" His heart sank. "John, what are you saying?"

"This was a mistake, we shouldn't have done this. I'm sorry, Paul." John shook his head. "We need to break up."

"Wh - why?" Paul's eyes widened.

"Cyn loves me, I can't just leave her and Julian." He clenched his fist. "Maybe I never even loved you, and I was just confused or stressed. About the baby, the band, everything. I'm sorry." He frowned deeply.

"But I love you!" he cried, wrapping his arms around him. "You're my everything!"

"I'm sorry." John pushed him off gently. "I can't return those feelings."

"Y - you don't love me?" Paul whispered.

"No. If I told you I did, it would be a lie." He sighed deeply. "I'm sorry." He opened the door and left.

"John, come back! John! John!"

"JOHN!" Paul screamed, shooting up with a start.

"Paul?!" John's eyes shot open, then he got tangled in the sheets. "Fuck!" He finally wormed free, then hugged him. "Darling, what's wrong?"

"You left me," he sniffed. "You don't love me, you never loved me."

"Paulie, no." He rocked him back and forth. "It was just a nightmare, love. You know I love you and only you, I'd never leave."

"Not even for Cyn?" Paul whispered.

"Not even for Cyn." John kissed him softly. "Go back to sleep." And so he did, reluctantly.

---

"Good morning, Paulie." John shook him gently. Paul opened his eyes slowly. "It's time to get up."

"You're still here," he said with a smile.