Morning

I awoke with a sore head, which was forgotten when I opened my eyes and saw Mello sitting on the edge of the couch, staring at me.

"Hey." We smiled at each other.

"Hey Y/N. Did you sleep ok?"

"Yes. An angel sang me to sleep. You have a beautiful voice Mello."

"Oh..." He laughed, embarrassed. "I always sing at night, it helps me relax."

"I loved it." I told him.

"Thank you."

He was wearing a plain black t shirt and black tracksuit bottoms. His hair was unbrushed but he was still so beautiful.

My hand reached up to touch the scar that covered the left side of his face. He looked ashamed.

"You didn't ask me about it last night. Maybe you were too drunk or it was too dark for you to notice."

"I noticed. But I wouldn't ask something so personal. I wouldn't want to be asked. You're free to tell me or not, but that's up to you. I don't want to bring up anything painful for you either. I didn't mean to touch you just now, sorry."

He seemed shocked.

"You're the first person who didn't just ask. And you're right, I hate being asked. But no one has ever considered that before."

"My scars aren't as obvious." I told him. "I guess people think they have a right to comment on yours. But I think if you wanted someone to know, you'd tell them yourself, in your own time."

"I guess they're too shocked. You don't expect to see such a hideous, well...this." He shrugged with a fake laugh.

"Mello, you're beautiful. And amazing, and just..." I shook my head in wonder.

His eyes filled up.

"Really?" He whispered.

"Really." He reached for my hand and held it tight.

Matt came into the room just then.

"Hey, how it's going?" He asked.

"Great." Mello told him.

"Do you need anything Y/N?" Matt asked.

"I need more sleep honestly. Sorry Mello." I squeezed his hand.

"It's ok. Go back asleep. I'll be right here."

I nodded and closed my eyes. As I drifted off I heard him say,

"Matt, I meant what I said. I'm going to marry her."