Painful Past

(A/N - This chapter was hard to write. I want this to be a happy story for both Mello and Matt but I had to include this chapter. It won't get this sad again though. Also I have more planned but I'm away so not much time right now)

Y/N pov

(Another flashback)

Mello was at work and I was sitting at the kitchen table with Matt.

"I never thought Mello would have a partner."

"Well excuse me, that's my boyfriend you're insulting. And I'll have you know he's a hot piece of ass."

"Uh, not what I meant, though thanks for that lovely description. No I mean cos he's exactly the loving kind. He's more the shooting kind."

"Yeah I must be privileged. His idea of romance is managing not to shoot me."

Matt laughed. "Yes, that's Mello."

"So how come he likes you? I mean you're very likeable, but as you said, it's Mello."

"I don't know. We've always been best friends. I can't even remember not knowing Mello. We were room mates since I was the only one chill enough to share with him."

"So you went to boarding school?" I asked.

"What? You don't know?"

"No, he's still very reluctant to talk about his past. He only just told me where he works even. But I can tell it's painful for him so I don't push him about it. He looks so hurt at any mention of it, it breaks my heart."

Matt reached over and squeezed my hand.

"You really do care about him. He needs that. You two are so great together. And maybe it's better if I just tell you a bit about it now. So that you'll know and he won't have to tell it. I know he won't mind since it's you, and since it's me telling you."

I nodded. "If you think it would be best I trust you."

He took a sip of coffee and sighed.

"Mello and I grew up in an orphanage." He started.

"Oh. Shit. I didn't know you both lost your parents so young. That's awful."

I'd known that neither of them had any family, but not that they never had.

"Yeah. And we don't even know why. I believe that my parents died, and I made my peace with that long ago. But Mello...he's always believed that his parents just didn't want him, that he wasn't good even enough for them."

"Oh god. That explains so much. Oh Mells." I was almost in tears.

"I know. Nothing or no one could convince him otherwise. So while he was angry and shouting all day, he cried about it most nights. None of the other kids ever knew that though. They saw just saw him as this angry monster. He tried to be social but everyone basically hated him, which tore him up even more. He hasn't mentioned his parents in years, but I know he still thinks of them. As you said, he gets that hurt look on his face sometimes and I know he's thinking of them. I know not to push him either."

We sat in silence for a while. When he spoke again it was quietly.

"He's not a monster. He's still very much a hurt lonely child. I was all he ever really had until he met you. I'm not trying to guilt you into never leaving him or something, but I want you to know how much you mean to him. To both of us."

"Don't worry Matt. I don't ever want to leave him. I know he's not a monster. He's a beautiful soul really. I love him so much, I really do. So I'm not going anywhere."

"Good. You look so happy when you talk about him."

"I am."

We smiled at each other and then got up to make more tea and coffee, both wanting to change the sombre mood. 

(Video: A weird ass Wammy's video to lighten the mood. Or scare you to death. I'm not sure which.
Watch at your own risk!
- Death Note sims 2)