Enter the Sheep

Y/N pov

Mello and I had spent the day shopping. We both loved fashion and went clothes/accessory shopping at least once a week, and always went to the chocolate cafe after. (How surprising)

I had taken a taxi (oh, a cab, I wasn't used to saying that yet) home, while Mello went on to his office for a while. (And by office I mean the mafia hideout)

I had to take the cab because of all the shopping, which I was now looking through in our room, and squealing occassionally. My man had better style than me (almost)

Just then I heard his phone ring. The damn idiot must have left it in one of the shopping bags. I shook my head and quickly located it by sound. His ringtone was Sweet Like Chocolate and his phone was on top of more leather he'd bought.

It was an unfamiliar number so I answered politely. A girl's voice said hello and then asked if this phone belonged to Mello.

"Yes this is Mello's phone. He's not here right now, can I take a message or help you?"

"Yes, this is his old fr...uh my name is Near. I knew Mello a long time ago."

I covered my mouth to hide my laugh. This was the famous Near? With that voice? And he almost called himself Mello's friend?

"Hello Near. He has mentioned you before."

"Oh. Not in a good way I'm guessing." The poor thing sounded sad about it so I changed the subject.

"I'm Y/N, Mello's wife. I'll tell him you called but shall I pass on any message?"

"Mello's wife?!" He sounded as surprised as I had been a moment ago.

"Yes. Is that a problem?" I asked.

"Oh, no, of course not. I'm very happy for you both." He still sounded unsure and I couldn't help smiling.

"You could say he fell in love and mellowed out a bit." I joked.

"Um, ok." He still sounded as serious. I rolled my eyes.

"Shall I ask him to call you back on this number?"

"I was kind of hoping to surprise him. I didn't think he'd answer if he knew it was me. I doubt he'll call me back either. But I have a very important matter to discuss with him. It's uh, regarding the last case we both worked on."

"Don't worry Near, he'll call you if I ask him. I have the boy whipped, know what I'm saying?"

"Uh...that's...I mean..."

"It's just a saying. Well that's not to say we haven't, yeah ok look he'll call you soon, I promise."

"Thank you. You were a great help. Near is most grateful."

"It's my pleasure. I mean you're welcome. Thank you for calling. Goodbye."

I hung up and fell on the bed laughing. I hadn't meant to freak him out, he really did sound as helpless as Mello and Matt had described him. But I liked him, he seemed nice and I felt kind of sorry for him. I knew from Matt that Near actually liked Mello. I'd persuade him to be nicer. Besides, it was always fun persuading Mello...