Fight

Ryuk introduced us to Rem, who was teaching Mello and I some shinigami business today.

"Oh, it's you." Mello said bitchily.

"Hello again Mello. Hello Y/N."

"It's Mero now, actually." He spat back.

"Hey relax." I touched his arm but he shook my hand off.

He glared at Rem the whole time she spoke to us. When she left for a moment I turned to him.

"Do you really think it's a good idea to glare at a god of death like that?"

"Oh please, I've had one of those things work for me before. I'm hardly afraid of them."

"Well, did Rem do something to you in the human world or are you just being an asshole?"

He glared at me now.

"I think she likes you."

"You can't be serious. I'm not gonna start dating a shinigami."

"You are a shinigami now." He reminded me.

"Oh yeah. Well Ryuk would be more my type."

He shook his head and turned his back on me.

"I'm just joking." I said, though I wasn't.

"Mero, come on, you know I only like you."

"Fuck off with that stupid name." He snapped and stormed off. There wasn't far to go though, so he just sat on a rock and sulked.

When Rem came back I told her Mello was in a mood. She told him to come back and seeing as he had no choice, he came back while glaring daggers at both of us.

"What's your problem? Rem has been nothing but nice to us. Can you tone the attitude down?"

He just grunted.

"Mero, do you have any questions you want to ask me?"

"Yes, Rem, I do. Why am I here? I thought humans went to Nothingness when they died?"

"You've already been told this. It's because you committed suicide. You're paying for your sin now by staying in this world of death forever. You can't take your own life without punishment."

"Well I'm so sorry that my life sucked." He said sarcastically.

"But I like death. And I've wanted to be a shinigami for ages." I told Rem.

Mello spun to face me and started shouting.

"Why are you so obsessed with death? I thought if I died I could rest in peace, but I'm stuck in this shithole now because of you!"

I shrugged. "You took your own life, Mello. You can't pin that on me."

"Like heck I can't! What else was I supposed to do when you fucking left me?! I hate you, this is all your fault!"

"And what were you doing with your life? Being bitter over some sheep boy? Yeah, that's a healthy life." I bitched back.

Rem stood in between us.

"You should both cool down. I think Mero just needs more time to come to terms with things. Don't be too hard on him, Y/N."

"No, I don't need time! I need to get out of here!"

"Well that's what how you felt about the human world. That's why you're here now. You made the choice, now deal with it." I told him.

"Y/N, please, don't be so harsh on him. You're happy with death but he's not. Try to understand that."

"He's just being a brat."

"I refuse to work with her!" Mello shouted from the far corner.

"Yes, agreed. Can I have someone more reasonable as my partner?" I asked.

"I'm afraid not. You'll have to make up or find a way to work together regardless. I'll leave you for today. Goodbye."

She flew away and I cursed.

"Why did you have to fucking follow me here?!" I yelled at him, then sat on a rock to do nothing.