Proof

Mello pov

"Once it's done, you write my name in that book." I told the shinigami.

"If that's what you want, it makes no difference to me."

"Good. So what do you want?"

"I want you to help me expose Light Yagami as Kira."

"Well that's what I'm already trying to do." I turned back over with a sigh. "I can't prove it and I'm too depressed to care anymore."

"Mihael, if you would listen to me, I can help you prove it. From what you just said, you've already remembered how he kills. You just need to catch him in the act. I can't exactly go to the police myself. Maybe if you hid video cameras in his apartment?"

"To show the police what exactly? Someone writing in a notebook isn't going to prove shit to them."

"Then have them seize the notebook and test it."

"They're the police. They'd have to kill someone to test it, which they won't do."

"Ahh. I guess so."

We each thought about it in silence.

"Oh I'll call Matt to come home. He might think of something."

Matt was home in minutes. He touched the notebook to see the shinigami and we explained the situation.

"Any ideas?" I asked him.

"None at all." He replied.

"Well you're no help." Rem told him.

"No I'm not. I'll call Near."

"Oh fuck off!" I yelled and turned my back to him.

"I'm sorry Mello, but you know we need him."

"I don't ever fucking need him." I muttered.

Near arrived soon and Matt explained everything while I continued sulking with my back to them.

"Ok then we need to organise a showdown to catch him in action." Near concluded.

"But that won't work unless we make him kill someone. That's the fatal flaw in all of this. What if I just beat the shit out of him until he admits it?"

"Matt, you can't do that."

"I know, but I want to. Damn Kira."

I stopped sulking and sat up.

"Get him to write my name." I said simply.

"But then -"

"Get him to write my name." I repeated. "I don't care if I die. The truth is I've already told Rem to kill me in exchange for my help."

"But I don't want to do that, Mello. I like you."

I slapped Near's hand to stop him from that annoying habit he had of twirling his hair.

"This isn't the time to like anyone, Near. Just do your fucking job."

He cast his eyes downwards as Matt spoke up.

"Even if we agree to this, how do we get him to write your name?"

"Near can tell him that he and I are trying to avenge L's death as his successors. He'll feel threatened and need to do away with us. Near lets my real name slip and we use Rem's camera idea. I'll go to the police station so they can witness my time of death for themselves. Something like that?"

"I don't know, Mells..." Matt looked about to cry.

"Don't Mells me right now. Can you both just leave for a while, I'm tired, I need to sleep."

"Ok." Matt patted my shoulder gently. "I love you Mello, you're my best friend."

As soon as they left I broke down crying into my pillow. I didn't want that fucking Near to like me. He'd always beaten me in every way, and he was even the last person to see my wife before she killed herself. I should have been there, I should have stopped her. I cried for everything I'd lost, everything I'd never had and everything I'd never be. I couldn't cope anymore with the force of feeling so many emotions so strongly and all at once. My whole body was shaking. I wasn't afraid to die, I just wanted it all to end.