My Number One

Y/N pov

I sat on the couch watching Mello. He'd been sat on an armchair eating chocolate on and off for a full hour, and I could tell he was worrid. He often looked serious and deep in thought, but he kept getting a scared look across his face and that frightened me.

He hadn't even noticed me watching him. I wanted to talk to him but I wasn't quite sure how to approach this. One had to be careful with Mello, he was like a ticking bomb. (A/N - I'm so sorry Mello)

I'd only ever seen him scared before when he panicked thinking he wasn't good enough for me, but at least I could reassure him about that.

Otherwise, he was usually the one scaring people. I was pretty sure I knew what was bothering him, and I wished Matt was home to help me with this. It was only a matter of time before Mello outright exploded unless I did something to calm him soon. (A/N.- Sorry again, Mello. ILY. Really)

I still couldn't come with anything so I just dived in.

"Mello?"

He looked at me, then shook his head as if to clear it.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry, I got a bit lost in thought. Do you need anything? Is it dinner time yet? I'm not hungry but I can make you something."

"Of course you're not hungry, you've been eating chocolate for the last hour."

He looked down at the bar of chocolate in his hand, then at the small table beside him that was covered in chocolate wrappers.

"Oh...I guess I have." He smiled. "My sweet chocolate."

"A girl's best friend, I mean, remember that was our wedding dance though. Best day of my life! Because I love you so much!"

He shot me a death glare, then broke out laughing.

"You're lucky I love you too." He picked up another chocolate bar and pointed it at me. "Be glad this isn't my gun."

"Well, that depends which gun you mean."

He choked on the chocolate.

"Don't Makkachoke on me now." I said.

"Don't what?" He asked as he got his breath back.

"Nothing. Anime reference. So babe, do you wanna come over here and talk about anything?" I patted the blank space on the couch.

He sighed but got up and sat beside me, pulling me into a hug.

"I do love you so much though. You know that, right?" I asked while kissing his hair.

His gripped my hand tight. "But if I'm not number one now that he's back, then you might not anymore."

He'd hissed the word "he" but looked so despondant now that my heart hurt for him.

"Mello, look at me, listen to me. I'll always love you. Whatever may happen. I know how much this Kira thing means to you, but I love you because you're you. You're number one to ME. You'll always be number one in my heart."

His face crumpled and he broke into sobs. I rubbed his back.

"It's ok, Mello, it will all be ok. I've got you. Just promise me you won't blow yourself up again or something crazy. I need you in one piece."

His tears turned to laughter and he held me tight.

"I promise. You always know what to say." He was still laughing.

"No, I don't." I said softly. "I just try. I love you, silly."

"I love you too."

(Music: You're My Number One ~ by S Club 7
Yes, the song inspired this chapter. Lolol)