Chapter Thirty-One

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Elspeth was pretty sure at one point that she had been looking at the same picture for the last thirty minutes without blinking. She was sitting in the library alone after telling the boys that if they accompanied her that she wouldn't be able to get her work done. As much as she enjoyed being distracted, she knew she had to buckle down to get some studying in. However, even without them present, it seemed she wasn't destined to get much of anything accomplished. She was focusing all her attention on conjuring spells for Transfiguration, reverting back to her old notes taken on the Inanimatus Conjurus Spell. However, she had only gotten so far as to reading half of her sentence before she squinted her eyes and tried to figure out what she had actually written down.

"Is that an "A" or an "O," she mumbled to herself, tilting to her parchment paper to the side. She tried to look at the other letters surrounding it to give her some insight but they were equally as sloppy, leaving her to groan and drop her head down on the table. She had tucked herself into a back corner of the library so that no one would be able to disrupt her, but it obviously didn't matter because she was looking for some sort of a distraction. 

"Have you ever seen a naked dementor?"

Immediately, the girl lifted her head up from her books and looked across the way, puzzled by the question but startled by the sudden appearance of Hades. Upon seeing the God of the Underworld, casually sitting across from her with his feet propped up on the table, Elspeth let out a screech and began to look around frantically. What would people say if they came upon the scene?

"Relax, El," Hades began, "you really think I would expose myself in such a manner? Give me some credit."

"What are you doing here?!" She whispered harshly in the direction of the God. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"No," he answered simply," I am trying to keep you on track with your studying because you are failing miserably. You know, it has been over three hours since you have begun and you are still on the same page that you were on when you started."

Elspeth glanced down before placing her arms over her book to block his view. "So? Maybe I'm trying to absorb everything on the page, do you ever think about that?"

"Believe me, you stand a better chance absorbing the information of that book by swallowing the pages," Hades retorted, "it is not a matter of reading the material over and over, you have to be able to do it, in order to have that information truly sink in."

"Are you interrupting her studying?!"

A shrill voice sounded from behind her causing Elspeth to once again jump and then look over to see Persephone standing behind her. "Oh for the love of Merlin," Elspeth whispered to herself before clapping her hand over her face, " why couldn't I have been a normal witch?"