Loss.

Maggie

I felt like the day didn't have enough hours anymore, after our anniversary I'd been working non-stop in all of my projects, having to stop my sister's house for a month, they were coming to live here in June anyway.

I quickly realized how good it was to be just an employee, because now that I half ran a company, there were a lot of things that I didn't even know I had to take care of.

The day Liz Keen died I had a small feeling that something was going to happen that day.

Don and I did our routine like always, but it was in a reunion with Oscar Carter, my boss, that my phone began to vibrate, I let it be because I knew it would be rude, and as soon as I got off it I checked the voicemail that had been left to me.

"Baby, it's me. Listen if you don't have anything to do today then now you do. Keen is celebrating her wedding today and I'm working, don't think I'm going to make it on time, but if you could go on behalf of the couple to not let Liz alone, I think that would be nice. And if you're busy I understand, just letting you know. Love you"

I sighed and reached my office, closing the door and sitting in my chair.

I looked at the things that needed review in my desk, plus a sticky note with an adress that I needed to check out today to make an evaluation on the progress.

I took my phone out and quickly sent a text to Don.

"Sorry Don I don't think I'll be able to make it either, I'm up the neck with work" I excused, then sent the text.

I didn't return home until well past 6 pm, almost 7. The sun was setting down fast and the first thing I did when I got home was to take out my heels and leaving them near the couch.

The house was silent, so I guessed Don wasn't here yet.

I went upstairs to leave my bag and a couple of files I had to overlook tonight, then got into some comfortable clothes. I took the files downstairs and while I dropped them on the table I turned the kitchen island and turned on the coffee maker, I looked inside the kitchen cabinet and pulled out some crackers, turning on my heels and walking to the table.

I frowned when I saw Don sitting in the couch. He still had everything on, and was looking nowhere.

I walked to him and bent down to his eyelevel

"Don?" I placed my hand on his knee. He blinked once and met my eyes. "What's wrong?"

He silently grabbed my hand and pulled me up, making me seat next to him. I placed my hand on his shoulder and listened to him.

"Liz, she uh" he stopped, looking to the side. I squeezed his shoulder tighter and while he sighed he said "she's gone"

I could see his face turn somber, he leaned forward and pressed two fingers on his eyes, leaning his elbow on his knee.

I just sat there, processing.

"And her baby?" I whispered. He shook his head and leaned back, I could see his eyes starting to get red.

"The baby is fine. She'll need to be in the hospital for a month because she was born early but..." He stopped again, then remained silent.