Home II.

Maggie.

I hurried out of the bathroom and jogged slowly to the ringing phone on the side table of the living room, Alma already yelling out that the phone was ringing.

"I got it!" I yelled back, standing in front of it and taking it "yes hello" I answered.

"Mrs. Ressler, front gate, there's James Müller here to see you"

I frowned a bit in confusion, my hand fiddling with the rim of my shirt and fastening it on top of my rounded belly. Alma quickly clasped to my leg and looked up expectantly.

"Yeah, let him in, thank you" I replied and hung up, looking down at Alma and placing my hand on the back of her head.

"Daddy?" She asked.

"No, I told you Daddy is at work" her eyes dropped down and she let my leg go, walking around the couch and sitting back in front of the coffee table to continue watching a movie.

I waited a few minutes, it usually took around five from the front gate to here, so as soon as I saw a car park in front of the house, I opened the door and waited.

My face visibly turned from a polite smile to the biggest worried face I could pull, my eyebrows knitting at the middle as I stared at James' red and purple temple and jaw.

"Jesus Christ James, what happened to you?" I asked when he was one step in front of me. The untainted side of his mouth curved into a little smile as he walked around me and into the house.

"You should see the other guy" he joked, I closed the door behind him and stared. His hands snuck to his front pocket as he leaned a bit, peering into the house "speaking of, where is he?"

My frown pronounced itself more, I tilted my head to the side giving him a look through squinted eyes.

"I'm not sure I follow" I said slowly.

"Donald, where is he?" He repeated, now serious.

"Uh-" I stammered, my frown not leaving my face "I haven't seen him in like two days. He said he's out of town for a case"

It was his turn to frown, quickly rubbing his injured eyebrow and looking around, finding Alma a few feet away from us.

I walked to him, taking him by the arm and slowly pushing him to the kitchen away from Alma's curious ears.

"I don't understand" he began, his voice dropping to a hush "you haven't seen him at all? Talked with him?"

"No, he didn't even make it to Alma's class. He left to work one day, called at night to tell me he was going to be out of town for a case for a few days and that was it"

His eyebrows pulled up, he took one step back and covered his mouth.

"Wow" he muffled, then shook his head as he looked at me "ummm, I'm so sorry to brake it to you Mags, but Don and I met outside of Alma's academy, I told him that you'd invited me, he told me to leave and beat me up"

A sudden chuckle escaped me, and I closed my eyes as I shook my head dismissingly.

"That's not true" I said.