Replacement.

Maggie.

I didn't wanted to be so desperate to have a pregnancy test one week after my period was supposed to arrive, but everything was hinting that I was in fact pregnant. I had been having terrible morning sickness, so terrible to Don had to stop going to his morning jogs to help me, throwing up in the bathroom left me so spent I needed an hour to recover in the bed after I got nauseated. Then he would make breakfast, but not a heavy one, and usually after I ate I was all better for the day.

It made me feel good to know that he was there for me all the time, but now I felt like I was bothering him a bit, specially after we'd fought yesterday when I told him that I had been fired instead of put on hold.

The look of disbelief in his face when I told him quickly turned into anger, and he balled his hands over the counter of the island.

I'd made the mistake of downplaying the situation, telling him it was not a big deal, which sent him into a rant about how everything was a big deal if it was about me.

"You are the most important person in my life Maggie, and I fully expect you to tell me things that are important to you, because they're important to me as well"

"The outcome is the same, I'm not working anymore"

"It might be, but the original plan didn't include your boss disrespecting you"

I remained quiet, because he was right about that, and everything could've gone a bit different if I hadn't waited three weeks to tell him, he would still be mad, but it wouldn't have seemed like I was hiding it.

"I meant to tell you sooner but-" I looked at him for a second, seeing him tilt his head to the side, waiting for me to continue "you'd been having bad days"

He gave me a shake of his head with his lips tightened into a straight line.

"That's not an excuse"

"I'm not excusing it, I just-" I shrugged "didn't think it was important"

"You thought wrong"

I nodded, rubbing my arm with my hand. I didn't like to fight, specially with Don and specially not right before bedtime, because I hated going to bed angry or sad.

The next morning, today, he still staid with me during my hard times over the toilet, still I saw that he was still angry about last night.

I was sprawled in the bed, nursing a terrible headache along with chest pain from throwing up, morning sickness was really not fun on my body. I felt the bed sink at the side, and later Don's hand on my forehead, clearing it from stray hairs I had over it.

"Feeling better?" He asked, I just shook my head with my eyes still closed.

"I'm-" talking didn't come easily when I was nauseated, and today I felt my whole body just shift on the bed "lightheaded and-" I pressed my forehead with my hand, hoping keeping my head still would help me shake the dizziness I felt in my body "I feel dizzy"

His hand left my head, and I could feel the bed sink from the other side, but I brushed it off, thinking it was just my motion sickness tricking my senses.

"Careful with your mom" I heard Don say, and realized Alma was kneeling next to me.

"I'm the doctor" she said, then I felt something in my forehead. "She has fever"