A mess.

Ressler.

How.... Just how did kids manage to make such a mess out of themselves. I always pictured little girls with flower dresses and pigtails and perfume with butterflies dancing around them. Watching Alma absolutely devour a chocolate ice cream made me question my entire existence, and I was sure Maggie was going to yell at me for not keeping the promise of bringing her back dressed the way she was when she came out of the house.

I don't know if it was just jealousy at Maggie's slowly expanding belly and what it meant, but she was being a little demon today, so I took her out to let Mags have a little breather, because I was sure that Alma did not know she was doing something wrong.

I saw Alma complete ditch the spoon and I quickly sat up.

"Hey, we use spoons to eat the ice cream don't we?" I said picking it back up from the table and handing it to her.

"It's dirty" she complained throwing her head back. I dropped the one and grabbed a new one I had picked from the bowl just as we were leaving because I knew her like the back of my hand, I'd made her.

"Here this one is new" she looked at it, then back at me with an angry pout because I'd beaten her at her own game, but she took it and dug into the paper cup to scoop up more ice cream.

I watched her eat some more, leaning back on the chair and holding my head at my temple, seeing a drop of icecream drop at her shirt among the other ones, she noticed and whipped it out with one hand making me gasp quietly as I closed my eyes.

"Do you know why I brought you here?" I asked, she glanced at me, as she pulled out the spoon and pointed at me with it.

"To eat ice cream"

"No"

"To play" she quickly followed pointing at the playground across the mall.

"No" I replied again as a little smile peaked from me. "I brought you here to talk-"

"We're talking"

"About your mom" I rolled my eyes at her quip, but she quickly dodged my eyes when I mentioned Maggie. "Yeah, do you know what I'm going to say?"

"No" she replied looking down at the cup and scrapping the melted icecream from it "I want more" she handed the cup to me.

"I'll get you more after we talk" I took it and placed it at the table as she quickly wrapped her arms around herself and threw an angry pout, she didn't know how to cross her arms yet, but she did her best to try. "Alma" I warned, I saw her eyes water and gave her a twist of my head to warn her not to start crying. "We're going to talk about your mom, and then I'll buy you another cup"

"Okay" she said with a sigh as she rubbed her eyes, I stared at her chocolate covered mouth and how she was smearing the dry streaks with her fresh tears and oh my God, I don't know what 'cringing' means but I'm sure it was close to the chill that dug into my spine.

I leaned to her chair and took her little backpack, I opened it and pulled out the wet wipes to clean her up as I talked to her.

"You know your mom has a baby"

"Yeah" she replied, her eyes focused on her hands as I wiped them.