Fixer

Maggie

"It's funny and disturbing to see you conflicted"

I'd been staring at Don for maybe half an hour, he was pacing around the living room where I hadn't seen him, then he walked into the kitchen with a look on his face like he wanted to tell me something but stopped himself.

Now he was trying to make it seem like everything was normal but he was bobbing his knee up and down whilst sitting on the couch.

It was funny because I'd never seen him nervous, and it was disturbing for the same reason, I'd never seen him nervous.

I sat in front of him, but leaning back on the couch because this little thing called my baby and the love of my life was slowly making it's way out of my body.

"What happened?"

He immediately shook his hand

"Nothing, I'm fine" he shot me a quick glance, then stood up and walked away from me.

"Don, you know there's nothing you can tell me that will impress me at this point" I stood up to chase him, but he stopped in the kitchen door and looked back at me.

"I know, but I really can't tell you what happened"

I bit my tongue, looking at him. He gave me a little look, begging me to not push forward.

"Okay" I nodded, he looked away and turned around walking to the stairs "actually, can I ask you a favor?"

He turned around and looked at me.

"Can you run to the store and get me a few things? I need to keep working on a thing and I don't have time"

I simple nodded, then took his car keys and made a little motion.

"Text me the list, I'll be back in a few"

I didn't need anything urgently, but I guess he would've given me an excuse to leave for a while anyway.

The next day, I got a good idea of what might be troubling him when I was going to work, I had the news station on the radio and they were informing about the National Security Advisor's death, Laurel Hitchin.

He had something to do with that, either him and Raymond, or just Raymond. I had heard Don complaining about how he had to pick up his badge from her house, how he didn't wanted to go because he didn't wanted to see her, because he was angry about her getting away and him doing nothing about it.

I was baking a cake when he showed up at the house, he didn't know that I was here and frankly I didn't know I would be home so soon either.

"What are you doing?" I asked from the kitchen. I saw him show up in the door frame with a frown.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned. I motioned at the mess I had on the kitchen.

"Baking"

"And what about work?"

I gave him a little twist of my eyebrows.