Escape (4/5)

"So.. we're on Earth?" He asks.

"Yes.. I have to call Carol."  I say, running to the phone.

"And I need to call Steve," he says.

**

After we let our remaining loved ones know that we were still alive and okay, we decided to stay the night at my house until the morning.

I let Bucky take a shower in my room while I take my shower in the guest's bathroom. I tightly wrap the towel around my body and dry my feet before I step out of the bathroom.

I walk up the stairs and into my room. My jaw nearly hits the floor when I see Bucky with his back facing me. He has a white towel wrapped around his waist and beads of water dripping from his soaking wet hair and sliding down his glistening back muscles. My heart races when he looks at me through the mirror.

He turns around to face me completely and the view is even better. The water slides down his swollen pecks and wash board abs.

He looks me with dilated eyes before clearing his throat.

"Sorry for invading, I j-just thought that I could borrow your boyfriend's clothes for the time being..." he says whilst ruffling his hair.

"I... don't have a boyfriend," I say after a moment of silence.

"But uh... I'm pretty sure that my neighbor wouldn't mind lending you something... if he's still, you know." I add.

He nods slightly before dropping his gaze to the floor as if he was thinking about something. I walk to my drawers and pick out my pajamas.

I walk back to the guest room to change before shouting:

"I'll be right back with the clothes,"

"Okay," he shouts back.

I knock on the door about three times before noticing the door was open. I walk up to the empty dog kennel and say:

"Oh no.. not you too Mr. Squiggles."

I huff as I grab a pair of sweatpants, a tank top, boxers and pair of moccasins. I enter my loft and jog back up the stairs to see Bucky sitting on my bed and holding his face in his hands.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I say as I walk into the room.

He lifts up from his hands and looks at me. He stands from the bed and gently takes the clothes from me.

"Thank you," He says softly.

"No problem.. I'll make dinner, do you like spaghetti?" I say over my shoulder as I walk towards my door.

"Wait Y/N," He says.

"Yeah?" I say.

"I wanted to thank you not only for the clothes.. but for getting me out of there. Without you, I wouldn't have ever been able to leave." He says, taking a step forward.

"It's not a problem really. Besides it's not over yet.. we still have to go back and save your friends as well as my family that Thanos took..." I trail off when I see him walk so close that I could feel the warmth radiating off of his body.

"You could have left me there, especially after calling you names.. but instead you saved me from Dr. Zola. You didn't have to do that." He says in a softer tone.

"But I wanted to and hey, you save me from my hell, I save you from yours." I say in the same tone.

He presses his forehead against my own and brushed his nose along mine. It took everything in me not to kiss him, especially when I can practically taste him in my mouth.

Our lips caress each other but don't collide. When I finally pull away and push on his chest slightly, he follows my lips.

"I should probably make dinner," I say before pulling away completely.

I release a breath I didn't know I held as I walk down the stairs. Multiple waves of heat rolls through my body and fan myself to make them go away, which they do after a couple of minutes.

I made the spaghetti and meatballs in about forty minutes. Bucky and I sit across from each other as we eat.

"I've been wanting to ask you a question.." I say breaking the awkward silence.

I look to him for approval and he nods his head, cueing me to continue.

"That little European scientist, Dr. Zola.. he called you 'The Winter Solider'.. what does that mean?" I ask.

He inhales slowly as he clenches his jaw. He stares down at his plate for a long while and I ask:

"Does it have something to do with your metal arm?"

He nods his head softly and I ask another question.

"You don't want to talk about it, do you?"

He shakes his head no and I say:

"Okay then, I don't like to pry so I'll... I'll leave you be."

I resume eating my spaghetti and reach into my pocket for my phone. I inhale sharply when I see my parents, whom I put as my lock screen. A familiar sting appeared in my eyes but I put my phone face down on the table to prevent any tears from falling.

"C-could I ask you a question?" He asks gently.

I look up and lock eyes with him. His demeanor completely changed from before. It's almost as if, making him think about those scientists, affected him more than I thought. And for that, I feel guilty.

"Sure.. ask away." I say.

He takes a bite of a meatball before asking:

"How do you not have a boyfriend?"

I cough as I nearly choke on a noodle.

"Straight to the point, are we?" I ask hoarsely.

"Sorry, I just wanted to lighten up the mood." He says before taking a sip of his water.

"Right.. it's okay.. well, the boyfriends whom I've been in a relationship with, all lasted more than three years... but none of them could cope with the fact that I could teleport. They thought that my body is indestructible was cool but when they saw that I could do this?" I trail off as I teleport a container of juice from the fridge and into my hands.

"That's when it became a problem. They got scared and they ran away-"

"Like cowards," Bucky interrupts.

"Exactly... like cowards." I repeat with a small smile.

I tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear and look down at my lap momentarily before looking up to see him staring at me. Suddenly the same hot flash I felt before, washed over my body.

"Perhaps we should sleep in separate rooms tonight," I say.

"Yeah, you're probably right. Don't want to do anything either of us would regret." He says.

"I highly doubt that I would regret anything that would happen." I say.

He slowly licks his lips as we continued to stare at each other.