Curtis (A Snow Piercer Story) [2/3]

It's been six months since I became a part of Curtis' army and in four days, we start our attack on the front of the train.

Curtis and I lay bare underneath the covers in his tent and he leaves soft kisses down my back as I go over the techniques I plan to use when we go to the front.

"What's going through that beautiful mind of yours?" He asks, pulling me to that I am lying on my back.

"Just what's happening in four days," I say with a sigh.

"Well don't stress yourself out too much, babe. You're a natural; and it's as you said, fighting is in your blood." He reassures.

"I know, I just..." I trail off.

"You're thinking about the casualties," he finishes with a sigh.

"Yes, I am. But I know what I signed up for. If I am a part of those casualties-"

"I won't let that happen," he interrupts.

"Oh, no, no, no. That's not what I'm saying. I don't want you to sacrifice yourself for me. I'm saying that if I am being used as leverage for you to surrender, you need to keep going-"

"Absolutely not,"

"Curtis," I warn.

"I'm not let someone kill the woman I love." He says.

"You will if the future of our people is at stake," I state.

He flares his nose with anger and clenches his jaw as he looks away from me. I pull his face toward me so that he is facing me.

"I'm not saying that it will happen. But I'm just making precautions in case it does happen." I say.

I straddle his waist and hold the sides of his face in my hands.

"Promise me," I add.

He stares deeply into my eyes and sighs in defeat.

"Okay. I promise." He says.

I nod with approval before pulling him in for a warm kiss. He pulls me closer to him and sits up slowly, warming his arms around me. He combs his hand through my hair and he pulls away from my lips to leave kisses down my neck.

"I love you so much," He says into my neck.

"I love you too," I say.

"Hey, Curtis. The protein blocks ar-" Edgar says as he barges in.

"Oh! I am so sorry, I should have waved first." He adds.

"Come on, Eddie. Really? This has literally been the fifth time you've walked in on us." Curtis scolds.

"Babe, he's just a kid. Would you mind giving us two protein bars, Edgar?" I state.

"Sure," He says before leaving.

"When will we ever have time for ourselves?" Curtis asks.

"When you take over that engine. Only then would you truly be free." I say.

"Why is it just me and not us?" He asks.

I sigh deeply and look at the tarp where Edgar left and he pulls me chin so I am looking at him.

"Why are you planning on doing? Why are you being so cryptic?" He adds.

"Just know that I'm going to do whatever it takes to make sure that you get to that engine," I state.

"What does that mean?"

When I don't respond, he repeats his question.

"I'll protect you for as long as you can, I promise." I state.

"Do you plan to sacrifice yourself? Y/N, do you plan to sacrifice yourself for me?" He asks.

"If that's what needs to happen, then I'll do it. For our people."

"You are not dying, not for me." He says, shaking his head with disbelief.

"You don't get it, Curtis. You are our leader. My parents may have been the leaders before, but that doesn't mean that I am the leader. These people are your people; I am your people-"

"I protect my people,"

"No, you protect the future of your people." I say.

"I don't deserve your sacrifice. I've done such horrible things. I'm not a leader, I'm a monster." He states, tears brimming in his eyes.

"It was those horrible things that made the leader you are today."

He starts crying, his body shaking with every sob. I pull him in for a hug and wrap my arms around his neck.

"I don't want to lose you," He croaks.

**

Four days later and we wait until all four doors open to push the long, thick rod in between all of them so they are wired open.

Curtis, Edgar, Tanya, Gilliam, me and a couple other people from the tail, walked on top of the rod to get to the other side. Curtis and Edgar kill people who are in our way. Things were going good, that was, until they opened the door at the wrong time. Even the little girl said not to open it, but the father didn't hear her fast enough and he open the door anyway.

When the door opened, it revealed over fifty some men with black ski masks over their faces and axes sharpened to its sharpest.

Curtis and I freeze and look at each other before glancing back at the army of people. Then came the one blonde haired bitch who came to the tail a few days ago and cut off Andrew's arm. "Be a shoe," She says. "Know your place," She says. Well she can take that shoe and place it up her ass for all I care.

She stands on some high pedestal as she speaks on and on about us being stupid pieces of filth that belong to the tail.

The two masses of people merely stare at each other, but Edgar started it by throwing the first punch. There was two men with axes coming straight at Edgar and he had no weapon.

"Damn it, Edgar." I say under my breath.

I pull Edgar out of the way and grab onto the handle of the axe before I elbow the man twice in the throat. Once he collapses to the floor, I duck under another axe and slide my leg under his so that he collapses to the floor. I use the axe from the other man and slice into the man's throat. He gurgles his own blood when I pull the axe away from his throat. I toss Edgar an axe and say:

"Don't do anything that stupid again, okay? It'll kill Curtis if you die,"

He nods and resumes fighting other men with axes. When I see another man with an axe going toward Tanya, I spin around and lodge my axe into his neck. Tanya's eyes widen as she looks behind me.

"Watch-"

I turn over my shoulder to see another man with an axe, but his movements stopped. He falls forward with an axe lodged into his back. I look up to see Curtis breathing heavily. He pulls his axe out from the guy's back.

"I told you, you're not dying for me." He says.

"Duck," I say to him.

He does so and I throw an axe at another man's head and watch as it splits in half. I find another man running towards another man from the tail, I wrap my arm around his neck and kick his knee out of place. I push him to the ground and snap his neck before taking his axe away from him.

The blonde haired chick speaks again and the fighting stops. That's when she laughs and says:

"Precisely seventy-four percent of you will die. This will be fun."

She places some type of binocular like device and more men with axes filed in. They put on similar devices on their faces and then the former security guard says:

"There is a tunnel again, and a long one. We don't stand a chance against them."

"Everybody get back!" Curtis tells.

I took Tanya by the wrist and shove her to where I last heard Curtis' voice. That's when everything goes black and I am pushed to the ground. I freeze my movements and close my eyes so that I can focus and try picture what my surroundings are.