The Beginning (3/3)

I stood with a frying pan in my hand, about to start up the stove to cook some eggs. That was, before I took a peek outside and saw the sun rising from its slumber. Something that I love about Missouri is its sunrises and sunsets. It gets me every time. It's almost mesmerizing. It seems that no matter what I am doing, if I see the sunrise or sunset, I can't helpful myself but to watch it.

A feel a pair of thick arms wrap around me and link themselves around my waist. I smile as I think that it can only be one person: Thaxter.

Thatcher is a six foot Hawaiian man with long, dark brown hair and a body that was perfectly sculpted by God himself. He has twinkling, dark brown eyes and a clean shaven beard.

I met Thaxter when he rescued Rose, me and countless others from the collapsing building in New York City. Apparently, his fellow paramedics told him that going in would be a suicide mission. But he went in anyway.

He was willing to risk his life for people he barely knew. Little did anyone know that he was a mutant, he was able to heal himself and others. He used that ability quite often in his line of work, so much that they called him "The Healer". He saved more people than I can count, including mine and Rose's. Then one might, Thaxter and I went out to dinner, and the rest is history.

Thaxter and I have been honest with one another from the gate. He understood the danger of my staying in New York; so he moved me to a family cabin in Missouri and we've been staying there ever since- with Rose of course, there's no way I was leaving her in New York.

I hum and lean back into Thaxter warm, bare chest. He buries his scruffy face into my neck and I chuckle slightly.

"Got distracted by the sunset again?" He asks in his deep, scruffy morning voice.

"Yes." I say guiltily.

"It gets me every time." I add.

He chuckles and says:

"Yeah, the sunrises are beautiful here. But you want to know who's even more beautiful?"

"Who?"

"You,"

"Ahh.. someone is full of compliments today. Are you insinuating something?" I say as I turn around to face him.

I run my hands up his chest pecks and link them behind his neck, which I had to go on my tippy toes in order to do.

"What could I possibly be insinuating? I don't insinuate. If I want something, I ask for it upfront." He says.

"Oh, I'm well aware of that." I tease.

He hums in agreement and lifts me onto the counter. He pulls me closer and wraps my legs around his thick torso. I hold the sides of his face and pull him down for a kiss. His warm lips move in perfect sync against mine. I run my fingers through his hair and his tongue parts my lips.

The kiss intensified and he squeezes my hips as he nips at my neck hungrily.

"Wait, Thax. We can't you'll be late for work." I say breathlessly.

"No I won't, I took the day off." He says as he pulls off my shirt.

"Wait," I say, pulling away from him momentarily.

"You took off? Why?" I ask.

"Because I wanted to spend the day with my beautiful leilani." He says before pressing a warm kiss on my lips.

I hum into the kiss and trail my hands down his well toned chest.

"Oh come on, guys. We eat in here." Rose whines.

Thaxter and I roll our eyes at her and Thaxter says:

"Then I guess we have to continue this somewhere else huh?"

He throws me over his shoulder and I yell out.

"Thaxter, Stop! You're going to drop me!" I say.

He carries me bridal style and says:

"I would never," He says.

He kisses me and I take his bottom lip between my teeth. He growls and kicks the door to our bedroom closed. He throws me to the bed and slides in between my legs.

**

"I'm telling you, he's going to ask you to marry him, and real soon too."  Rose says, stuffing her hands in her pockets as we walk through the mall.

They call Thaxter in on an emergency while we were packing for our hike. Thax planned to go on a hike with me on one of the most scenic mountains in Missouri. Then he wanted to have a picnic at the top of it.

He was completely devestated when he had to pull a rain check on me. He said that he'll make it up to me at dinner tonight. I'm tell you, Thax is literally the book definition of go big or go home.

"No he isn't," I say.

"You haven't seen the way he looks at you when you're not looking. He is literally in love with you, and you with him. I feel like you guys are meant for each other." Rose states.

"Oh yeah? And if Thax is my so called Mr. Right, then shouldn't Henry be yours?" I ask with a smile.

"Nah, I don't think him and I are going to work out." She answers.

"What? Why?" I ask.

"For a problem I'm sure you and Thax don't have. He doesn't satisfy in bed." She says.

"Oh.. I'm sorry. I would have thought that with the-"

"The tattoo and thick arms that he would be amazing in bed? Yeah, I thought so too. He couldn't make me moan worth a damn." She states.

"Damn, you coming at his neck."

"Better yet, I'm coming at his life. Which is well deserved. Him and I talked about it, and he had the nerve to go and blame me. So I punched him in the face and walked out the door." She explains.

"Wow, when did this happen?" I ask.

"Two nights ago,"

"What? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Never came up until now." She states.

Our conversation was interrupted by the sounds of gun cocking. As if by instinct, Rose pushed me onto the ground and away from harm. Four guys with huge AKs were shooting their guns into air, earning screams from everyone.

Some tried to run, and they shot each and every one of them.

"Hey, what do you want?!" Rose yells.

"Rose, don't." I say.

She shushes me and one of the gunmans trot over to us. My blood runs cold in my veins as he raises his gun as he walks over.

"Because it's fun." He says before aiming the gun and pulling trigger.

The sound of shell casing falling to the ground echoes in my eyes and I watch with horror as Rose's body shook with every bullet.

"No!" I yell out.