The Alternate Universe (4/10)

My back hits the mat for about the twentieth time in thirty minutes. I groan with annoyance at the fact that I wasn't able to hit Steve at all. It's almost as if he was telepathic, that he was able to read my thought and determine my next move. The fact that he isn't telepathic makes it even more impressive.

Steve said that we were going to training next Monday. Today is now Monday and I'm literally getting my ass handed to me. This is what happens when you rely on your powers to much and didn't bother taking any self defense classes. But during the weekend, I watched videos on how quick punch and kicking tactics. I thought that they would help me against Steve, I was wrong.

"You okay?" Steve asks as he kneels down next to me on the floor.

I groan in response and he says:

"Alright, we'll pick it up from here tomorrow."

"No,"

"No?" He says slightly amused.

"I am not leaving this gym until I at least hit you once." I say.

"Okay then, let's get moving." He says, giving me a hand.

My knees crack as I haul myself to my feet.

"You're making me feel old, Steve." I say, holding my back as it cracks.

"I'm making you feel old. Keep in mind, I'm ninety eight years old and you're turning twenty four this August." He says.

"I still feel old, Steve."

"Quit complaining and throw a punch." He says, going into a fighting stance.

I go into my fighting stance and shift my feet from side to side like Steve said to do. I jerk my hand to see his reaction. We move around in a circle and he steps forward, causing me to step back.

I release a deep breath before going for it. He threw a punch and I blocked it. He threw another punch with the opposite hand and I blocked that one as well. I push his arms away, leaving him open. Then I shove him backwards my the chest.

I swung my legs underneath his and he jumped over it just in time. I use do a cartwheel kick that Steve also dodged.

I jump to my feet and go back to my fighting stance.

"Nice combination you made there. You're actually learning pretty fast for a newbie." He says.

"Thanks," I say breathlessly.

I step closer and tried not to give away what I was planning to do. I grab his non-dominant hand and spin my body until I am behind him.  I tightened my grip on his hand and place my leg behind his. Then I reach over his chest and throw him over my leg. He falls with a loud boom! and I kept his arm in an arm bad as I press my knee against his chest.

We both stare at one another as we breath heavily. He nods with approval, and this earns cheers and whoops from the people watching Steve and I spar. For the little amount of time that Steve and were here, we drew quite the crowd.

Having him pinned was only temporary. I moved my knee and he lifts effortlessly me into his arms. He threw me back onto the mat and held me there.

"I'm impressed," he says.

"I didn't know you had it in you." He adds.

"Well, you poke the bear long enough and she's going to get angry." I say.

"Wait, that was you when you were angry?" He asks.

I nod and he says:

"Then you should use that anger more often. It gives you more strength and more focus."