The Alternate Universe (3/10)

"Are you, uh.. are you sure about this, Steve?" I ask as he finished setting down the last piece of furniture for my room.

Steve and I have been staying with one another and getting to know each other for almost six months. He has been calling in some favors to help me find my way back home. But in the meantime, we've definitely gotten comfortable around each other. And we've been learning about this world together.

Moreso, we're more comfortable than we were before. During first week of me moving in with Steve, there was a lot of stolen glances and small talk conversations. But now, I know a little more about him and he knows a little more about me too.

Within the month, I managed to find an apartment and a job as a photographer.  Steve was happy that I have a job but I didn't tell him about the apartment yet. I was going to today but then he told me that he bought some more decorative furniture for my room. And I guess you could say that I wasn't arguing with the view of Steve in sneakers, dark wash jeans and a black tank top with sweat glistening on his muscles.

Some of the things that Steve does reminds me a lot of Thaxter. I told Steve about Thaxter, and he said that he understood what it was like to want to get back to someone no matter what. There's so much that I like about Steve; he is literally the perfect guy for anyone.  How in the world is he still single?

"Of course. I just wanted to make you feel more comfortable." He says, wiping his hands on his jeans.

"Unless you don't like it. I can-"

"No! No that's not at all what I'm saying. I love it... I just don't want you to spend so much money on me. I'm just passing through." I trail off when I see his ocean blue eyes darken with sadness.

"You know what, I should make all of your hard work up to you by cooking my famous dish. You ever had Sheppard's Pie, Cap?" I state.

"Nope, never heard of it."

"Well you're about to have the best Sheppard Pie ever." I say.

"Can't wait,"

**

"Wait, wait, wait. So you're telling me that you- a sweet, gentle and generous woman- cheated on a math test when you were younger?" Steve asks, trying to hold back a laugh.

"Yes, okay. Math was my least favorite subject and I didn't study for that test. Then all of a sudden I could hear the teacher's thoughts and I used it to my advantage." I explain.

He bursted out laughing and I couldn't help but laugh with him. Tears started to form in his eyes and he wipes them away with a sigh.

"Who would have known." He said to himself.

"Okay, your turn. What is something that no one else knows about you?" I ask as I take a sip of my water.

"Well.. I can sing pretty well." He says, making me choke of my water.

I set down my glass and cough as much water as I could.

"Oh jeez, are you alright? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you choke." He says.

I clear my throat once I realize that I can take deep breathes again.

"It's okay.. you just continue to impress me Rogers." I say, pressing a hand on my chest.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yes. I never would have thought that you could sing. That just adds to the package now doesn't it? I mean, you are charming, generous, kind, compassionate, ethical, in shape, intelligent. The list goes on forever. Please enlighten me as to why you're still single, Rogers?" I ask, genuinely curious.

He looks down at his bottled water and licks his dry lips.

"I don't know. Maybe I'm waiting for the right person to come along." He says, looking at me with his cute smile.

We hold each other gaze for a moment before he clears his throat and says:

"Don't pretend like you don't have any amazing qualities. I mean, what's not to like?"

I stand from my chair and grab my plate. Then I make way to Steve to grab his.

"You're generous, kind, protective, intuitive, extroverted, beautiful, strong. Now that list could go on for centuries." He says.

I set the plates in the sink and reach for the sponge to wash them; but Steve placed a hand on mine, preventing me from doing so.

"I can do the dishes," he says.

"No.. my mess, my cleaning." I defend.

"I forgot to add stubborn to the list, didn't I?" He teases.

"I'm not any more stubborn than you are, Captain America." I say.

There was a moment of comfortable silence.

"Thaxter was a lucky man," he says.

"As was Peggy," I say.

He kept his hand over mine and I slowly turn to face him. His breath fans against my lips and I take a deep breath.

He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and trails his finger tips down my jaw. I lean up and press my forehead against his; He brushes his nose against mine. But before our lips could even touch, his phone chimes. He holds the side of my face and pressed a lingering kiss on my forehead before pulling away to answer his phone.

I released a breath I didn't know I held and run my fingers through my hair.

"Yes, of course. I'll keep you posted. Call me if you need me." He says before hanging up.

"Another mission?" I ask while I cross my arms.

He nods with a sigh and I add:

"You mentioned that I was strong?"

Steve tucks his phone in his pocket before walking over to me again. He leans against the counter in front of me and crosses his muscular arms.

"You are strong," he says.

"That's something.. I ask myself everyday. Am I strong? Would I make my parents proud if they can see me now?.. I don't think that I would. I spent five year without my powers, and I gotten used to not having them. Then after Rose, it triggered them and I zapped myself here. And now my powers are gone once again; I've learned that without my powers, I'm weak.. fragile. I say.

"If you weren't running passed that alley a month ago, I don't know where I would be right now." I add.

"But I did run passed that alley. And you're safe now. Do you feel safe?" He asks.

"I feel safer than I've been in a long time." I say.

"Good,"

"But I want to do something I haven't done before." I state.

"I want to learn how to fight, and I want you to teach me." I add.

"Are you sure you're up for it? I'm not exactly known for going easy on my trainees." He says.

"I think I can handle it." I say. The