Unfortunate Events [2/2]

"She's not in the shape for fighting." I hear my mother say. My eyes slowly peel open and I sit up from the couch. I take the blanket with me and walk towards where I hear voices. "Y/N," I hear Steve say in relief. I look at myself in the mirror above the night stand and gasp at the sight of me.

My make up must have dried when I was crying last night and I look like a murdered bride. My lip stick was smeared and my eyes were stained black from my mascara. Hayden's blood still stained my dress.

I hide myself with the blanket and Steve ask, "What's wrong?" He walks into the house and holds the side of my arms gently. "Don't look at me. I'm hideous. " I whimper. ""Oh stop it. If I only valued you when you have make up and cute dresses then what kind of man would I be?" He says, pulling the blanket away from my face.

"You're always going to be beautiful in my eyes," I sigh deeply and close my eyes for a moment. "Why are you so good to me?" "Because you deserve it," he explains with a smile.

"Mom is right, I can't fight. Not with my mind set." "We know," "Then, what are you guys doing here?" "We wanted to make sure you were okay," Nat says as she walks into the house. I look to her and she pulls me in for a hug.

As soon as she shoulder touches my face, tears swell in my eyes and the sobs that I've been holding in were released. I fall to my knees and Steve catches me as he holds me in his arms.

**

Third Person POV
Once Steve and Nat return from Y/N's house. "Y/N is a no go," Nat says. "She's one of the strongest weapon that we have." Tony says with a sigh. "And this weapon wants to see your head on a pike. So I wouldn't be so eager to see her back here." Clint says.

They both look at each other and to break the tension, Nat says, "We need to figure out our next move," They went to the Klaue's ship and got their asses handed to them. Clint was flying them to his family's house when Y/N called him and asked him how she could help.

He made she that she was okay to help out before saying, "Home," She said that she would meet them there but not to tell the others. She wanted it to be a surprise. When she arrives, Tony and Steve were chopping wood as they argue. Steve rips open a block of wood with his bare hands and Y/N's mouths gapes open as she watches from the side of the house.

"Hey Tony, the lawnmower isn't working. Clint said that you wouldn't mind trying to—" "Sure," "Sorry," "No, it's fine. Don't steal from my pile." Tony says as he points to his minute pile compared to Steve's.

"Well that seemed intense," Y/N says as she kicks from her leaned position on the house. "Y/N, what are you doing here?" "You guys need my help. You needed my help back at Klaue's ship and I wasn't there. If I was, that chick wouldn't have gotten in your mind." "How did—"

"Clint filled me in," Y/N interrupted. "You okay?" She adds. lFine," "Well I'm here if you ever want to talk," "I was about to say the same thing to you. You sure you're up for this after what happened?" Steve asks. "Staying cooped up in my room only gives me more time to think about him. So I'm.. better in the field." She stumbles, her hands stuffed in her pockets.

"Well in that case, we missed you." He says, clamping a hand on Y/N's shoulder. They look into each other's eyes and Y/N says, "Besides, I couldn't stand the thought of you getting hurt when I could help, didn't help my state of mind either." Steve looks at her with admiration and he steps closer as his hand travels to the side of her neck.

"I mean— I meant— you guys getting hurt." Y/N stumbles. Steve hums as he brushes a few baby hairs out of Y/N's face. "So when did the thing between Nat and Banner happen?" Laura asks. "What do you mean? Nat and Banner?" Clint asks. Laura chuckles and states, "I'll explain it to you when you're older."

"Nat and Banner?" Clint says to himself. "Well there's one that everyone can acknowledge and that's Y/N and Steve." Laura says. "I'm sorry what? No, she's still recovering from the death of her fiancé and Steve.. he's too innocent to do anything."

"I beg to differ," Laura says as she looks out the window to see Y/N pressing her forehead to Steve's. Then Y/N says something to Steve and he cups the side of her face. He presses a kiss on her forehead when Fury walks out of the barn with Tony.

After night fall, the Avengers gather with Fury and talk about the plan. Nat spews some comments about the inside joke about bad language that left Y/N in the dark. They follow through with the plan and when things were over and done with, Steve walks out of the compound with Tony and Thor and they talk as Y/N waits in her car to say goodbye.

Steve looks up and a smile builds on his face. "I thought you left," He said. "Not without my goodbye hug," She says with open arms. Steve embraces her and sighs deeply. "Don't be a stranger," "I won't. Promise." They pull away from each other and look at each other.

It was almost as if they were having a conversation with their eyes. "With time," Y/N finds herself saying. "Exactly," Steve agrees. "Until then, beautiful." He adds before pressing a kiss on her cheek.