Welcome to the Avengers [1/2]

Y/N's POV
"Barton's been compromised," Coulson says, interrupting my rant of me ultimately saying no. After all of my twenty-nine years of living on this Earth, there is only one thing that was my weakness. Barton. Initially it was him and I against the world. Before we even knew S.H.I.E.L.D existed, we were a couple.

And S.H.I.E.L.D is what tore us apart. That was years ago, but I'm still pissed at him for what he did. How he left me without so much as a goodbye or I'm sorry. Yet, I find myself saying, "Count me in. I'll know where to find you." I hang up the phone and get dressed. "Where do you think you're going?" My FWB, Hayden states as he walks out of the bathroom with just his black, Calvin Klein boxers on.

"I have to go," "What? You literally just got here." He says. "I know, but it's important. I'll call you later, okay?" I put on my jacket and he walks up to me. Me being 5'2" and him being 6'0", he is practically the Statue of Liberty compared to me. "Hayden," I warn. He lifts me chin so my lips meet his and he sighs deeply. I melt into the kiss and wrap my arms around his neck.

He lifts me into his arms and sets me against the dresser. "Come on. I've missed you, Y/N. I've been looking forward to this all day. And you just want to leave?" He asks as he pulls away from me hesitantly. "What's it about?" He adds, steadying me with his arms. "That's .. confidential." I answer.

"Or in other words, S.H.I.E.L.D." He states, causing me to sigh deeply. "I can still help, you know. I'm an assassin, just like you." "Baby, I'm an assassin AND a pyrokinetic." "So what?" "So, I don't want you to get hurt. You got out of S.H.I.E.L.D for a good reason." He sighs before saying, "Can I at least drop you off?" I nod and he kisses me again. He sits down on the bed and pull me into his lap.

**

I walk unto the air craft with a shaky breath. It's been a while since I've been on one of these, since I've been a part of SHIELD. I opted out as an agent after I could get my powers under control. And if they are calling me and asking for my help. Then it means that whatever is happening, is pretty bad.

"Y/N," I hear a voice call. I glance around until I see Agent Coulson walking towards me. "I'm glad you could come." "Thanks. But I'm pretty sure that you are the only one who would be happy to see me." "Fury missed you more than you realize." He gives me a respectful nod before leaving.

I walk up around the ship until I see Fury. He was talking with Steve Rogers, Natasha and Banner. He stops mid conversation, which causes everyone to look at me. "Y/N," Fury says in surprise. "I didn't think you would come," "Neither did I." I say, stuffing my hands in my pockets.

"Everyone this is Y/N. She's also aasset to the team." Fury introduces. "So what's her niche," "Pyrokinesis," I answer. "Pyrokinesis? You're.. you were part of the whole Level 1 Training fiasco a few years ago, weren't you?" Banner asks. "Y/N has just as much blood on her hands as we do. That's what makes her the perfect warrior,"

"Can we just not talk about me? Thanks," I state, my cheeks getter redder with everyone's stares. I glance up to meet Steve's gaze, but he looks away just as we make eye contact.

Steve's POV
My God. The last time my heart raced like this was when the doctor said that I finally got into the army. Her features seem hard, like it's been a while since she's been genuinely happy. Her Y/E/C eyes meet with mine and I immediately look away. My cheeks warm up with embarrassment and I gently smooth my hand over my gelled hair nervously.

"Director," a woman interrupts. We all look over to her and she adds, "We have a 100% match with Loki in Germany." "Cap, you're up." Fury states. I nod to him respectfully and glance over at Y/N to see her looking out the windows in thought.

I nibble at my bottom lip as I debate whether or not I should invite her to come with me. Steve, don't be a slump. Just put yourself out there and talk to her. You're not going to get her attention by just standing on the side lines. I make a singular step towards her and Natasha approaches her.

Y/N crosses her arms and Natasha's face gardens as she looks at Y/N. They definitely have tension between one another. I wonder why.

"Fine," I hear Y/N say. "She's coming with us if that's okay." Nat says as they approach me. Y/N holds me gaze for a few seconds and I could feel my heart pounding against my chest. "You don't really need my help, do you?" "I mean I can use all the help that I can get," "I don't think you want my kind of help, Cap."

"Well I think it's too early to say that, don't you?" I respond. She sighs deeply and adds, "Nat will be in the air and you'll be on the ground. This is just one man we're talking about here. You don't need my help to fetch one guy." "Fine, you're off the hook with this one. Let's suit up, Cap." Nat says.

Y/N's POV
"Y/N, you need to have faith in yourself," Fury says. "I do, Fury. I just.. I know my capabilities. You should call for my help until absolutely necessary." I explain. "I still think you're doubting yourself because of what happened with—" "Don't. Don't say it."

"There was no way you could have known what would happen. You didn't even know you were pyrokinetic." "And it cost people's lives. Innocent lives. That's something
that will haunt my brain forever." "I need some air," I added with a huff.

**

Sitting on the table in the lab with the book The Color Purple in my hands, I could sense that I was being stared at by somebody. I look up to see Steve, Tony and Banner looking at me. "Is there something that I can help you with?" "Nope, just wondering where you've been all these years."

"I'm not sure that's any of your business." "You dropped off the face of the earth for nearly a decade and one call from Fury and you're here." "I'm not here for you. I'm here for Clint. If Clint isn't compromised, I'll still be under the radar."

"And what's so important about Clint?" "Again, that's none of your damn business. Look, if this is about questioning my loyalty to S.H.I.E.L.D., just because I opted out, it doesn't mean that I abandoned my oath when I became an agent. I'm someone that you are fighting with, your colleague. I'm not your friend. There's a difference."

I feel my anger crawling down my neck as it makes my heart pound harder against my rib cage. I flash a flame in my eyes as a warning. "What's going on here?" Fury asks as he walks in with Natasha. "Just a mere friendly debate," Tony mediates. "Is that right?" Fury looks to me and asks, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Fury. If I blew my fuse every time someone rubbed me the wrong way, I wouldn't have been undetected for so many years." I say with a huff. Tony then decided to make waves with Banner by shocking him. He yells out in pain and Steve says, "what's wrong with you?" "I'm okay, Cap." "That doesn't change that Tony could have endangered the lives of everyone on this ship."

"You know I'm getting sick and tired of your judgements." Tony snaps. "And what are you doing to do about it, Stark."This was a bad idea. Me coming here." I say to Fury as Tony as Steve argued. "No, I think the contrary. This is exactly where you belong. These are your people." "I don't have a people. I don't fit in a particular category."

"Well believe it or not. They need you. The world needs you. If you've been looking for a time to show the world who you really are, this is the time."