I Just Want You to Be Happy

Thanks to Scott's plan and Tony's smarts, we managed to turn back time and get all of the stones before Thanos could get them and repeat the same thing he did once before. And we won. But sadly, we lost two of our own. Nat and Tony. Their deaths hit us hard.

But before Tony had passed, Tony, Steve and me went back in time to an army base so we can retrieve the tesseract. And I saw something that changed my perspective on everything. I saw the way that Steve looked at Peggy.

He didn't think I saw him, but I did. Just how he was breathing and his beautiful eyes dilated, he was still in love with her. He'll never stop loving her.

I think he should use the resources that we have and go back so he can stay with Peggy. Knowing him, he'll try to deny it and stay with me. But hopefully, I'll convince him that it's okay to choose yourself for once.

The knock on the bathroom door makes me wince and I realize that I was still in the shower. I didn't even wash my body yet; I just let the water run over my face and body. "You okay, Y/N? You've been in there for a while." Steve says through the door.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking." I call. The bathroom door opens and I peek my head from behind the curtain. Steve puts the toilet lid down and sits down as he rests his elbows on his knees. He looks up at me and I put my head back into the shower. "You're thinking about Nat, aren't you?" "Yeah," I lie.

"They're the true heroes in all this. We couldn't have done it without them." He says. "I know, but it doesn't make it hurt any less." "I know," Steve says with a sigh. The sound of clothes dropping on the floor makes me drop my head. Soon after, I feel his arms wrap around me as he rests his chin on top of my head.

"I think we should take a few days off. Maybe go hiking or go for a picnic at Central Park." He says he presses a kiss behind my ear. "Steve, we need to talk." I say, turning around so I'm facing him. "Okay, about what?" His eyebrows crease with concern as he looks into my eyes. "Never mind," I say discouragingly. "Hey," He starts. He holds my face in his hands. "You can tell me anything. You know that right?"

I nod and bow my head slightly, knowing that I would have to tell him eventually. He lifts my chin up with his finger and presses a soft kiss on my lips. I wrap my arms around his neck and pulls me closer by the hips. He walks me against the cold, tile wall and hikes one of my legs around his waist.

The steam of the water surrounds us as he kisses down my neck sensually. I run my fingers through his wet, blonde hair when his phone rings. He pulls away with a sigh and says, "I'm sorry," "it's okay. It's probably Sam. You should answer." He nods before getting out of the shower and I start to wash my body.

**

Turns out, Steve volunteered to return the stones. He came back later that evening, looking completely exhausted and even a little bit sad. He was currently looking through some old photos in his album and I figured this would be the perfect time to talk.

"Steve," "Yes, baby." He says, making my heart flutter. "We should finish our conversation from before." I say, sitting next to me. "Not right now, honey. I'm actually quite tired to do anything like that right now." "No, not the shower sex part. I meant the actual conversation." "Oh. Well alright, let's talk then."

He gives me all of his attention and suddenly I didn't want to talk anymore. But I knew that I have to. "I think you should go back in time so you can be with Peggy." I admit. "What?" "I saw the way you were looking at her, Steve. You're still in love with her. You've always have been. She's your first love, what should we expect." I say, standing up from the couch.

"Wh— you're jealous of Peggy?" He says, placing a hand on his leg. "No, I'm not jealous of Peggy. I'm saying that you should be with her. I'll be fine after a few months. You deserve to be happy, Steve. All of these years an—" "Who's to say that I'm not happy with you?" He stands from the couch as well.

"Just stop, Steve. Stop saying things to make me feel better. I know you're never going to be as happy with me as you are with her. That's just never going to happen."

"So all of this is based on an assumption. Is that it?" He follows me as I walk into the kitchen. "It's not an assumption. This is a fact. You're still in love with Peggy. You should be with her. It's that simple."

"That simple?" He repeats. "Yes," "What about you?" "Don't worry about me. I'm a big girl. I've handled much worse things." "Well I can't consciously leave people like you and Barton, Y/N." "If you believe it's for the best. Then yes you can,"

"I can't believe this is happening," "Steve, you have the resources to go back. You didn't before, but you do now." "I can't leave you, Y/N." "It's not that you can't, it's that you don't want to." I grab my keys and jacket. "So you're just going to leave me again. All because I want to be with you and not Peggy." He calls after me.

"All of these years of doing what other want you to do or what makes them happy. Just stop living for other people and live for yourself for once." "I'm pushing you to do this because I know deep, deep down, you want to do it. And what kind of girlfriend would I be if I didn't want the best for you?"

He was at a loss of words. Tears brim in my eyes and I walk out of the door. I get into my car and turn it on but when I reach for the gear, sobs escape my mouth. I have a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel as I rest my face against the cold rubber. With every breath, more tears and sobs escape.

I hear a knock on my window and I knew it was Steve. I shake my head no and cover my face. The door opens and Steve dips his head in to turn off the car. "Let me leave," "Not until we figure this out. Come on." I shake my head no and he unbuckles my seatbelt. He lifts me out of the car and I pull away from his grasp.

I cross my arms and lean against my car without looking him in the eyes. "Y/N, baby, look at me." I say nothing. I don't even shake my head. He holds my face in his hands and his ocean eyes meet my red, puffy ones.

"I love you." "I love you too. That's why I have to let you go." He kisses me passionately and more tears leave my eyes. "I'm not going anywhere." He says. "Come on, let's just talk about this. Please." He adds. "If I go back in that house, then I won't be able to leave. I wouldn't want to."

"That's the idea," "Steve," he lifts me into his arms and walks me back inside. "I understand if you want to go, Steve. I'm not mad at you for doing what makes you happy." "Who knows? Maybe I'll go back in time and save Hayden from dying." I add.

He sets me on the couch and starts to pace. "What if I don't want you to be with Hayden? What if I don't want to be with Peggy? What if, this whole month, I've been planning to ask you to marry me?" Steve says in a raised voice.

"What?" "Yes, Y/N. For chrissake, I want to marry you. YOU not PEGGY. I want you, Y/N. I don't want you to be anyone else's besides mine. And I don't want to be anyone else's besides yours. Damn it!" He has his back faced me and his hands on his hips.

"Is that true?" "A hundred percent," he says with a strained voice. I stand from the couch and gently place my hand on his back. He has his eyes closed as he pinches the bridge of his nose. A tear falls onto his cheek and my heart shatters. "I could feel my heart sink when I thought that you were going to leave me again." He croaks.

"I'm so tired of you putting yourself as second priority. Peggy is in the past. You are my future. You are the one I want to spend the rest of my life with." He adds. He sits on the couch and rests his face in his hands. I pull him in for a hug and drape my body over his. He gently pulls me closer as he sobs softly. "I'm sorry, Steve." I rub circles on his back and continuously press a kiss on his temple.

Tears of shame fall onto my cheeks and Steve pulls me into his lap. He wraps his arms around me rests his head on my shoulder. "You make me happy, Y/N." "You make me happy too. I'm so sorry if I hurt you again." He captures my lips for a kiss and his hands rest of my hips. I hold the sides of his face as our lips move in sync.

"Marry me," He says breathlessly. "Are you sure you want this, Steve?" "I've never been more sure in my life." His eyes are the size of a bead. Which means that he's very serious. "Will you marry me, Y/N Y/L/N?"