Always Be There

POV: Demi

"Hello?" I took a deep breath as I answered my dad's phone call.

"Hey Demi." My dad spoke in an overly happy tone. It's too early for that bullshit.

"How can I help you on a awful Monday morning?" I rubbed my eyes once before pulling out of the driveway. I got one hour of sleep last night because I had to take Harlow to and from the hospital and then she kept waking up.

"When can I see her?" He got straight to the point.

"Well, right now she has the flu and pneumonia at the same time, so the only thing she will be seeing is her bed and chicken noodle soup for the next week or so." I spoke with authority so he knew what state I'm in.

"Long night?" My dad sighed.

"Yeah, she kept waking up from chest pains and at one point it hurt her so bad she was crying, but that hurt her even more so I had to calm her down." I blinked a few times as I stopped at the stop sign with hopes it'll help my tired eyes see.

"Well, let me know when she feels better. If you need anything let me know. You just go back home after work and help her." I could hear the small smile in his voice. "I know you care a whole hell of a lot about her if you stayed up all night with her, so I'll make sure you get to be with her."

A smile grew on my face. "Thanks Dad, I gotta go now though because I just pulled into the school parking lot." I fumbled with the touch screen hang up button before grabbing my shit as I was getting out of the car. I definitely didn't get distracted with watching Harlow change. Of course not. I'm just late because I'm late.

"Miss Lovato, where is your lesbian lover?" It can't be him. He is in jail. "Surprise! I got out just to see who my baby sis was fucking on the side. I mean, we share everything, so why not you?"

I turned to him slowly and looked at Jackson in the eyes. "How did you get out of jail?" My hands shook in fear. I definitely cannot fight and win against a football player, or let alone outrun him.

"My parents bailed me out to continue the business, and we pulled some strings and paid some people. Now here I am!" He put his hands in the air with a smile. "Now, where were we?" A sickening smirk spread across his lips.

I looked around the empty parking lot with hopes someone else would be this late.

"It's just us Miss Lovato. Let's have some fun!" He took a step towards me.

I took a step back.

He started to run at me, so I threw my bag at him before running for the building.

I didn't make it far. Within two seconds I was pinned to the grass as soon as I got passed the sidewalk.

"Play nice now or I'll have to tranquilize you." He licked his lips once before licking up my neck. "Let's get you to the truck."

Tears streamed down my face as the my stomach started to turn in disgust of him touching me, but a dark flash passed my eye's view and Jackson was across the parking lot.

"Run!" I heard Harlow's voice yell to me as a brown wolf helped me up, and I took off.

Are these her wolves, or was she hiding this from me? I'd look back, but I'm bolting into the school building to get help.

My eyes scanned the halls and I ran for the nearest open classroom to see Tanner.

"Jackson is in the parking lot. He tried to take advantage of me, but I heard Harlow yell run after a black flash crossed my sight and then a brown wolf helped me up as weird as it sounds." I said out of breath as I slightly braced myself on the doorframe.

All of the blood drained from Tanner's face before he called for a code red and running out of the building with me to see Jackson laying lifeless in the parking lot with blood all around his neck.

"Where did Harlow go?" I looked around for her. I need her to calm me down.

"Don't worry about that. Just call 911 and tell them what's going on while I call the new principal and tell him to get the footage ready." Tanner let out a shaky breath.

"What is going on?" I turned to him, but he ignored me as if I wasn't standing right beside him and called the new principal as said.

I went along with it and called 911 and told them that he seems to be lifeless, but I'm not getting near him to check.

I stood behind Tanner as I watched the footage carefully. I closed my eyes shut tightly when Jackson tackled me, but when I opened my eyes again I saw an all black wolf and a brown wolf tearing the shit out of Jackson before running for the woods. That's what I saw... but why did a random ass wolves save my life?

"Demi, go meet Harlow in the parking lot." Tanner shooed me out of the office, and I just went with it because I need to be with Harlow right now.

I practically ran out to the parking lot to see Harlow pacing back and forth as a jet black haired, shorter guy watched the brown headed girl, with her sunglasses and jacket on pacing the poorly paved sidewalk.

"Harlow," I called to her as I opened my arms up, because I don't think I can take another step.

Harlow's head snapped up before running to me. "I'm here. I'm always here." She whispered as she pulled me into her embrace.

I pulled away from the hug to look her in the eyes. "That was you, wasn't it?" I spoke just above a whisper.

Harlow slowly nodded. "I knew you were in danger, so my litter brother and I linked up on the way here. He was the one that made it out." She whispered with her head hanging low. "I understand if you want to leave me now. I'd understand completely. I'm half human, half wolf, which makes me not the average girlfriend." Harlow turned and coughed into her elbow. She saved my ass while she has pneumonia and the flu. How?

I looked into her eyes once they met mine. "I'm not leaving you Harlow. I thought I made that clear." I rubbed her cheek with the pad of my thumb. "I'd kiss you, but I can't afford to miss work."

Harlow kissed my forehead before wiping it with her sleeve. "All better." She smiled down at me. "I promised you I'd always be here to protect you, and I'll be damned if I break that promise now."

"What happened on your part?" I raised a curious brow.

"I'm kinda shocked that you're not reporting me to the police or killing me right now, but Tate and I were tracing your scent, and when I saw Jackson I told Tate to tackle Jackson while I made sure you'd be okay, then I'd finish him off myself." Harlow ran her fingers through her messy brown hair.

"I'm just happy you're okay. I don't care about anything else." I smiled up at her.

"I'm sure you want an explanation." She sighed.

"I'm guessing that the scientists succeeded with being able to turn you into a werewolf instead of just leaving you with several traits." I raised a brow at her as she towered over me.

"Pretty much, but we call ourselves hybrids; not werewolves. Werewolves are fictional; we aren't." Harlow looked back at the guy, who I now know is Tate, before looking back at me.

"How often do you switch into the wolf?" I pulled her to my chest to prove to her I wasn't scared of her.

"I can do it whenever I want to a certain extent, but I have to do it at least once a month." She let out a relived, yet shaky, breath.

"I still love you Harlow. Don't worry." I whispered against her shoulder.

She nodded slowly before speaking. "I love you too. More than you'll ever know."

—————————————————————

A/N: Who saw that coming and who is shook?