Chapter 11

Lillian's pov

The first test to the assessment was running, which I'm not good at. I stood nervously, my mind reeling as I tried to think of a plan. I was up against a boy named Aoyama this round, and I knew I would come in dead last without my quirk. I took a deep breath, my eyes narrowing. I can do this. I just have to time it right. I have to be ready. I am ready.

"Begi-" 

Frozen. I'd panicked, and I'd frozen them. Everything within my view had stopped. The wind, the birds flying in the air and even the clouds. I darted as fast as I could, blinking right as I crossed the finish line. In an instant, everything was resumed, and I was left panting at the end of the track. I've got to take this seriously. I know I didn't expect to get into this academy, but I did now, and I just can't roll over and let myself get sent home!

"n!" The machine finished. Then, it dinged. ".1 seconds!" 

Aizawa paused, and the class erupted with chatter. I ducked my head, my cheeks setting aflame as I shuffled to the end of the line. Todoroki was there, and he didn't say a word. I kept my eyes on the ground. Maybe this quirk assessment test will go alright. Maybe...

~

The second test was grip strength, which as you can imagine, I didn't do well on. I couldn't think of a way to use my quirk on this one, so I didn't. Instead, I just squeezed as hard as I could. I don't doubt I got the lowest score. As long as I can do well on the others... no matter what, I can't come in last! I have to pass this. I have to! 

The second test was over fairly quickly, and we were directed to the long jump. This didn't take too long either, and I was able to use my quirk, which allowed me to simply walk across. I knew I was supposed to jump, but nobody knows I didn't jump... t-they can't prove I didn't, right?! I hope I don't get in trouble...

The repeated side steps, like the grip strength, wasn't a test I could use my quirk on. So I just did the best I could. It became pretty clear just how out of shape I happened to be. I felt embarrassed, but at least I have those other tests going for me. Only two so far, but maybe I'll be okay. Maybe I won't come in last! Only one more test after this... I can do this!

~

I'm so dead.

I stared in absolute horror as yet another student vaulted the softball a distance longer than the average lifespan. This assessment wouldn't be so bad if the punishment wasn't... you know... getting kicked out of the program completely. My parents were so excited when they found out I didn't die in the entrance exam. They nearly keeled over when they learned I'd actually made it in. Man, even I almost keeled over when I found out! 

"Lillian Faust." Aizawa said boredly. I scooted up to the circle, cowering under all the gazes directed at me. Aizawa didn't seem amused, offering a softball to me. I gulped, glancing over at my recently-made friends. All of them either smiled or offered a thumbs up, which probably should have encouraged me more than it actually did. I offered a weak smile back.

"Whenever you're ready." Aizawa said. I glanced at him, and at the group, trying to think of a way to use my quirk to help me. Stopping the ball wouldn't help. No; I needed to ball to go far. As far as I could make it go. I bit my lip slightly. 

"I can use my quirk?" I asked quietly in a hesitant tone.

"Yes. Use it however you see fit." Aizawa-sensei said plainly and patiently. I backed up slightly, taking a deep breath. I can do this! I can! If I can just get the right angle...

I blinked, and then everyone stopped. Even Aizawa sensei was frozen, his eyes stuck staring at his clipboard. Not that he could really see it... I gulped, looking down at the ball in my hands. I don't know if I'm supposed to leave the circle, but he did say to use my quirk however I wished, so I guess I will. I shuffled back slowly at first, my eyes scanning over my class before I darted down the field. I hope this works.

I positioned myself once I felt I was far enough, holding the ball out in front of my as far as I could. I stared at my frozen class for a moment, making sure they and the ball were all within my line of sight. It was hard to see everyone with Aizawa-sensei there, but eventually I positioned myself correctly. Then, I frozen everything again: including the ball.

I slowly removed my hands. The ball stayed. "That's it..." I whispered, my eyes flickering back up to my classmates. I darted back towards the circle, my anxiety growing with each step I took. I made it back fairly fast, and I tried to position myself in the exact position as I was in before. I could feel sweat beginning to bead my brow. I gulped again. 

Then, I unfroze everything.

"That being said, you should probably-" Aizawa looked up, his eyes going to my empty hands. Before he could say a word, there was a chime.

"601.3 meters!" The machine in his hands happily crowed. Aizawa's gaze snapped to the field where my lone softball, now unfrozen and on the ground, sat. Whispers rippled through the class, and I could hear them trying to figure out what my quirk was. I ducked my head as Aizawa jotted something down. 

"Good job." He said, nodding to me. I took that as my cue to go back into line.

I scurried over to where my friends had congregated. "Wow, is your quirk teleportation? I thought you said it was nothing special, but you blazed through the sprint in no time, and now this!" Ashido immediately exclaimed, her eyes shining. I smiled nervously, shrugging vaguely as they began to chatter excitedly. My gaze shifted over to the rest of my classmates. A few of them were eyeing me curiously. I looked away again.

The next two tests, the sit ups and toe touch, weren't easy. I couldn't use my quirk for that either. However, the long distance run did work in my favor. Standing behind everyone, I was able to freeze them and then dart to the finish line just like I did in the short distance sprint. That gave me yet another good score up my sleeve. 

Everyone finished, and it felt like Aizawa was giving us the results before I could blink. I felt myself shrink back into myself as our scores were pulled up, and I was hesitant to look at first. Eventually, I did.

Twelfth place: Lillian Faust