Chapter 106

I would like to send out all my regards to everyone along the coast and to all you Floridans who're about to experience Dorian, or who have had to flee your homes. It's terrifying to think a hurricane that powerful could be descending upon you, and though I've never had to experience it before, I know how scary it has to be. If I can do anything to help any of you out, let me know! Please, be safe!

Third person pov

One, two, three.

"Clear!"

Neito stood off to the side, his arms wrapped around himself as he watched Hajime try to revive Hitoshi. They'd fixed him up the best they could, letting the quirk Neito was currently copying suspend the purple-haired teen's body in a singular state, not allowing it to worsen. They stopped the bleeding and had fixed up all the loose veins and such of that like. Neito's own heart wasn't beating, but that was because this one wasn't his. It was in his chest, but it didn't match his biology, and thus refused to take. However, his body couldn't properly reject it while he was stuck in this undead state. The heart too was stuck in an undead state, still partially alive and attached to its original owner. Neito was a mess and a half. Hitoshi on the other hand....

"Clear!" Hajime desperately pressed the paddles down one more time. If this didn't work, they'd have to do something else. Hajime didn't know what, but he couldn't just remain this way. He couldn't let his son die. That being said, remaining undead didn't seem like all that healthy of an alternative. Would he even age? Eventually, would his body expire just like everyone else's did, but he'd be stuck unable to end himself? The thought made Hajime shiver. But he couldn't think about that, because-

"Pulse! We've got a pulse!" One of the nurse's yelped out, eyes going wide with hopeful disbelief. After explaining Neito's borrowed quirk, they'd all warmed up a bit to the idea and were less inclined to call an exorcist. The power was certainly out there. Very unique and unlike most things they'd ever bore witness to before. However, most things in this day and age could be explained with quirks, so they just allowed that to be the explanation. Neito really didn't care. He jolted forward with surprise and a terrifying amount of anticipation as nurses and other doctors swarmed around Hitoshi's body. Peering through the gaps between the medical staff, Neito could see the rise and fall of his friend's chest, a bit erratic, but there.

"Holy shit." Neito breathed out, feeling like he'd just died a second time. If he did have his heart, he was sure it would be pounding mercilessly. Even now, blood rushed past his ears as Hajime tearfully carted his son out of the operating room so they could get him settled somewhere so he could properly stabilize. Neito had never seen such a wide, watery smile on the man's face before. It made him smile too, and he scurried to follow. Hitoshi would be okay. He had to be. But that begged the question: where were Lillian, Shoto, and Izuku? Neito hadn't seen hide nor hair of them. 

"Thank you, Neito." Hajime glanced at him from the corner of his eye, smiling as they pushed Hitoshi down the hall. The blonde felt himself smile back, though his mind wandered. Were the rest of his friend's okay? It was pretty obvious there'd been some sort of attack on the summer camp, but he didn't know the details. If there was casualties, villain, hero, or student. The thought of losing one of his peers or teachers made his chest clench up uncomfortably. He felt a tug at his chest, and his breath shuttered. 

Neito hadn't had a lot before he met Hitoshi and Lillian. His parents were okay people. They fed him and got him the things he needed. He'd even go so far as to say they spoiled him. But money could not buy love, and all they did was work. Nannies weren't a substantial substitute for their love and attention. He'd grown up oppressed and in a neglectful household who held homophobic opinions and weren't open or accepting in the least. They had a set plan for Neito, wanting him to become a doctor. When he'd decided to become a hero, they'd begrudgingly agreed, but only if he could get into UA. Neito was lucky he did. If he hadn't, he'd be off at some high-class high school that would focus almost solely on medicine.